LaunchBox Community Forums

Test it out https://drive.google.com/file/d/16O0aN0Uy8dr1-WMjMaJbTizEvw7Wl_Rk/view?usp=sharing
check the readme because you may want to configure the conf file differently. Note that you will need joytray.exe installed for this to work. Also you will need current metadata. The latest metadata i got has controller support for games so that it knows when to use 4-way and not. I'd love some feedback before i upload a release. My testing has gone wonderfully but i want to be certain my use case is like others.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure how i got it but my DB has games setup as 4/8 way automatically it must have downloaded the metadata (The information about games such as images, descriptions dates other information) when i added the games to launchbox. I'm not sure if there is a way to update that information and get LB to download it but once it is i didn't have to setup anything the configs were all done for me. I just setup launchbox a few months ago so i know it is the latest or close to the latest information. I'm so glad to have someone try it out for me. Thanks

Is this working? I’m new to LB.
1.  Do you turn this on in led blinky? The Servo stick capability or do I have to incorporate rocket launcher into my build somehow? 

2. And then install joy2tray.exe 

3. Run your script file?

again I’m an extreme noob to  LB/BB but messed around with HS and got tired of messing around with HS 😉 

This is solely a launchbox plugin. you don't need led blinky for this to work. All you need is the joy2tray.exe installed somewhere and then the path to it configured in the conf file. once all of that is installed in launchbox it should work. Maybe i should create a full tutorial on installing joy2tray, and where to put the plugin and conf file.

On 12/6/2021 at 10:01 AM, Dinomight said:

This is solely a launchbox plugin. you don't need led blinky for this to work. All you need is the joy2tray.exe installed somewhere and then the path to it configured in the conf file. once all of that is installed in launchbox it should work. Maybe i should create a full tutorial on installing joy2tray, and where to put the plugin and conf file.

Any tutorials would be epic & greatly appreciated. After so many failed attempts with HS I sought up LB after I saw they have Servo stick and dynamic marquees & led blinky available with some actual support. Any assistance would be great. Thanks in advance 

Here is a quick tutorial...

ServoStiker is a plugin for launchbox that handles automatically switching your servostick to and from 8/4 way modes.

Use of the plugin is simple. Once installed it should switch to the appropriate mode before launching your game.

To install:

1. download the plugin here
  2. download the joytraysetup.exe servostik application from ultimarks website (the link on their site is currently broken so here is another link)
  3. Install joytraysetup.exe
  4. unzip servostickr.zip and copy ServoStiker.conf and ServoStiker.dll to the plugins directory in the launchbox folder (e.g. c:\launchbox\plugins\ or on my machine C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\launchbox\plugins\)
  5. Edit ServoSticker.conf and configure the options (You will most likely not need to change this file).

For reference the config file options are here

Spoiler

"default":"8-way", // This can be "8-way" or "4-way" it is used witht the reset-on-exit configuration option
        "8-way-name": "8-Way Joystick", // leave this alone. it can be changed if the controller support name changes or if you want to use your own configured controller support name
        "4-way-name": "4-Way Joystick",// leave this alone. it can be changed if the controller support name changes or if you want to use your own configured controller support name
        "reset-on-exit": "True",// set to true if you want it to reset to default (configured above) when you exit a game.
        "joytrayPath": "C:\Program Files (x86)\JoyTray\JoyTray.exe" // this is the path to JoyTray.exe change this if you installed joytray.exe to another location

The defaults should be good for most installations but you may need to change them if your installation is different.
  6. In launchbox you need to make sure your games are configured for the plugin to work.
    1. You may or might not have the latest metadata (game information such as name,thumbnail,boxart,controller config) You can confirm this by editing ms. pack-man or another 4-way or 8-way game

EditMenu.thumb.jpg.e4acaef7b8744c4b116e46af08390d3a.jpg

• Select the controller support

contollersupportmenu.thumb.jpg.1388730a68f0b100a50676f97ae4373d.jpg

• Check that the correct controller is selected (8 way or 4 way)

4-8wayselect.thumb.jpg.ccd036900ebe92395001c8b86d179d68.jpg

• If you don't see anything in the controller support you should update the metadata. this is done by selecting a game/games from the launchbox game list right clicking and selecting

409448565_DownloadMetadata.thumb.jpg.e4bb67439d841461844dc2f519faffa3.jpg

• If after downloading the metadata you still don't see the controller support correctly you will have to manually select the proper controller support from the edit game menu
  • Once all of these steps have been taken the plugin will take over and you should have your servostik switching automatically. Note that you don't need anything else to get it to work. LED blinky is not used.

If you have any problems or questions post to the following thread: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/63350-servostik/

Edited by Dinomight

• 5 weeks later...

Hi!

This looks amazing and just what I have been looking for! I'm fairly new to all this, so it has been a little frustrating every time I search for a good tutorial for my servostik, LEDBlinky always seems to part of their equation.

I'm a little nervous about messing around with controller support options. Many MAME games have controller supports listed, but I'd say a majority of my games do not, especially games using different emulators. I only have a small hand full of 4-way games, so would it work to just make sure all of the 4-Way Joystick games have the option selected and leave the rest alone? It almost appears to me (like I said, I am new at this) that the plugin has 8-way selected as a default, so when you would start up a 4-way game, the servostik would switch to 4-way, then switch back to 8-way after you exit from the game?

Thank you for any help or advice you can give me; I have spent a lot of time finally getting everything to play just right and I really do not want to mess anything up!

1 hour ago, Metamonk said:

It almost appears to me (like I said, I am new at this) that the plugin has 8-way selected as a default, so when you would start up a 4-way game, the servostik would switch to 4-way, then switch back to 8-way after you exit from the game?

That's exactly how it works. with the right controller support marked (I think downloading metadata as above will setup the right controller support) it will switch to 4 way on 4 way games and then revert to 8 way(default) when you exit the game. I'm glad you like the plugin it was fun making it.

Thank you; everything worked perfectly! I cannot believe how simple this was! I've been tempted to skip over this aspect of my build out of fear that I'd somehow ruin the controls for the other games, get stuck in the wrong mode, or if the extra work would be worth it to just play a few games a little better, but with this plugin, it just became the easiest step of all!

I just wanted to thank you and let you know how much I appreciate your work!

• 5 weeks later...

I set my Servostiks up via Rocketlauncher a few years ago, makes such a difference. As a fairly recent LB convert, I am progressing through migrating stuff over. After about 20 mins, reading up on Blinky, I stumbled across this and wanted to say thanks.

First thing I checked is the LB Metadata for games I know will vary:-

Pac-Man = 4-Way Joystick (Joystick)
1941 = 8-Way Joystick (Joystick)
Robotron = Double 8-Way Joysticks (Joystick)
Bubble Bobble = Horizontal Joystick (Joystick)
Defender = Vertical Joystick (Joystick)

Atari 2600: Acid Drop = Atati Joystick (Joystick)

For it to handle these variants it would need  multiple comma seperated entries for the 4-way/8-way names in the config?

Also it might be easier to config if the game controllerSupport entry just needed to contain a 4-way/8-way name? (so Robotron would match to "8-Way Joystick")

Cheers

Edited by BeemanDev
added info

On 2/7/2022 at 9:58 AM, BeemanDev said:

I set my Servostiks up via Rocketlauncher a few years ago, makes such a difference. As a fairly recent LB convert, I am progressing through migrating stuff over. After about 20 mins, reading up on Blinky, I stumbled across this and wanted to say thanks.

First thing I checked is the LB Metadata for games I know will vary:-

Pac-Man = 4-Way Joystick (Joystick)
1941 = 8-Way Joystick (Joystick)
Robotron = Double 8-Way Joysticks (Joystick)
Bubble Bobble = Horizontal Joystick (Joystick)
Defender = Vertical Joystick (Joystick)

Atari 2600: Acid Drop = Atati Joystick (Joystick)

For it to handle these variants it would need  multiple comma seperated entries for the 4-way/8-way names in the config?

Also it might be easier to config if the game controllerSupport entry just needed to contain a 4-way/8-way name? (so Robotron would match to "8-Way Joystick")

Cheers

Thank you so much for your testing. I didn't know about any of those variants in joystick types. I'll work on finding a better solution for handling multiple types of each configuration. Give me a few days(probably this weekend) and i'll post another version for you to test. would you mind being a guinea pig for testing your setup?

Ok give it a go i've update those code and the plugin should now work for multiple controller names. install the new plugin and make sure you use the new updated config file. You can download the new version here : https://drive.google.com/file/d/16O0aN0Uy8dr1-WMjMaJbTizEvw7Wl_Rk/view?usp=sharing

ServoStiker.zip

Please try it out and let me know if it works for you

Edited by Dinomight

• 2 weeks later...

This works great! I really appreciate you creating this plugin. I do have a question. When I launch a game I get prompted "4 way" or "8 way" and I have to hit "Enter" to continue. Is there a way to set it so it won't prompt me and will just execute the command when the game is launched? I figured I could fix this with AHK but thought I would ask if there was an easy way first. Thanks again!

it appears that my debugging code was left in. grab the new version here. you shouldn't see the popup anymore: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I6NjxIMw74iRXvUYcNV9bJhQAWf1B8Ex/view?usp=sharing

Please try it out and reply to this post to let me know if it worked or not

ServoStiker.1.0.0.1.zip

Edited by Dinomight

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question on this.   I downloaded and it works great as long as the 4 way is the primary controller.   I had atari 5200 which had "atari joystick" as the primary controller and I added 4 way under it so that it would switch automatically to 4 way and it didn't. I then got rid of "atari joystick" and it worked fine.  If I put atari joystick after the 4 way it still worked.  I'm guessing it has to be the primary controller for this to work.  Correct on this thought?