LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox update destroyed my install

Michelle911

I've spent weeks and months building a huge elaborate and custom scripted install but that was a 2 years ago and a lifetime away,  I have not the time in my life for that sort of thing now (or probly ever again, life changes, sucks for me I know) so how do I easily restore all that I've lost?   I'm sry for the noob question but unless someone feels like helping I'm not getting thru this....

29 minutes ago, Michelle911 said:

I've spent weeks and months building a huge elaborate and custom scripted install but that was a 2 years ago and a lifetime away,  I have not the time in my life for that sort of thing now (or probly ever again, life changes, sucks for me I know) so how do I easily restore all that I've lost?   I'm sry for the noob question but unless someone feels like helping I'm not getting thru this....

A bit more detail on what is not working will help folks guide you.  LB doesn't mess with any of your emulator directories so it cannot destroy anything there.  But if you want to revert to a prior working version this will get you started.

Revert the LB Version

• LB keeps copies of older versions of the install files in the folder ..\\Launchbox\Updates\   
  • You should be able to revert to version you had that worked for you prior by clicking on the EXE installer you want to go back to

Revert the LB Settings to Earlier Working Version

• The other portion is that LB keeps a copy of your XML files (the actually settings, and database for LB) in the folder ..\\Launchbox\Backups 
  • You will find zip files with dates of the backups. Typically LB will do one on startup and one on shutdown automatically. To restore the XML files to older version you can do one of two ways.  Within LB you can go Tools, Restore Data Backup.  You can then select the backup file based on date to the last working version you wanted.  The second way if for some reason you cannot open LB is open the zip manually with date you want to restore back to and copy the files in the zip to the folder ...\Launchbox\Data 
  • Reverting to an earlier XML date will lose any changes you made after the date.  

Lastly, you can turn off auto updates by going to Tools, Options, General, Updates and unchecking update on startup.  

Edited by sundogak
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Michelle911 said:

Sounds like you don't have a backup?  Always have one just in case.  I develop my launchbox setup on one machine and when I'm happy with it, then I push it to my arcade pc.  I also have a backup on external SSD.  

Rob