LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame 0.237 No-Nag

Mame 0.237 No-Nag

View File

NOTE: This does NOT interfere with the Leader boards at all.

**This removes the nag screen that informs you if a rom doesn't work correctly, or if at all, if you use this no nag, then please do NOT go to the mame support site with issues with games, please only use if you understand that there will be no help from anyone at mamedev as you are using a modified version of mame.

mame.exe - Normal Mame with Nags removed. For Version 0.237 (Note mame no longer carries the 64 in its exe name changed by Devs in 0.229)

It's advisable to download the full 0.237 official pack and install it, then just overwrite the exe with the replacement, this covers any changes the mame devs may have made to the support files.

After you have done this, make sure you copy the folders artwork, ctrlr, cheat, hlsl, ini, folders and the ini files from the root of your original mame folder, and move/copy them to the new install.  

make sure in the mame.ini file you have  the following set.

Skip_gameinfo  1

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have any tutorial / instructions you use to compile this version.   I have no issue using this one - but was looking to just learn how to do it myself.

After a couple hurdles - I get to the point trying to apply the patch (suppression_0237u3.txt) - and get the following error from the patch command : Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?

On 11/21/2021 at 12:48 PM, pofo14 said:

Do you have any tutorial / instructions you use to compile this version.   I have no issue using this one - but was looking to just learn how to do it myself.

After a couple hurdles - I get to the point trying to apply the patch (suppression_0237u3.txt) - and get the following error from the patch command : Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?

I found the steps here worked when I need to compile a version.  Link

Edited by sundogak
Forgot link

@pofo14 them guides are out out of date, there is instructions on mamedev on how to compile, you just need to make sure you know what to change, check for mkchamp diffs, and just use a text editor to change the files, these will nearly always be released about 2 weeks after the main release,  using actual diffs can be a pain in the ass to use and get right.

https://www.mamedev.org/tools/

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=64298.0

None of it is really difficuly to do, the only time it could be difficult is, if there are major changes to the files that need editing.

The diff files are just text, you can read the contents in any text editor, and the information is easy to read.

for example

+++ src/frontend/mame/ui/mainmenu.cpp	2021-10-29 22:43:02.508332401 +1100
@@ -167,6 +167,9 @@

item_append(menu_item_type::SEPARATOR);

+	// DISABLE SELECT NEW MACHINE & FAVORITES
+	if (!machine().options().skip_gameinfo())
+	{
 	if (!mame_machine_manager::instance()->favorite().is_favorite(machine()))
 		item_append(_("Add To Favorites"), 0, (void *)ADD_FAVORITE);
 	else

The above shows the file mainmenu.cpp needs to be edited, the @@ denotes the line where change are going to occur, then line directly under this is what you are looking for, and you edit will be UNDER this line, the next part shows 3 lines all with a + sign this is code that you need to add placing it after the previous line you found (do not add the + sign). The next two lines show what should follow after you added the edits.

Go through the whole diff, its only 2 files that will need editing, and very small changes, then using the current mame msys64-2020-11-03 setup (make it easy for yourself and install to your root of your C drive so you end up with the mysys folder in the root of C, you do not need to update the mysys tool set, so now make your src folder in the root of the mysys folder then just unpack the mame src code to that folder, 

then make a batch/cmd file and in that file, add the folowing. and place this file in the src folder where you unpacked the mame source too.

set CONFIG_ARCHITECTURE=x64
call ..\win32\env.bat
make -j5 PTR64=1 TOOLS=0 STRIP_SYMBOLS=1

NOTE:  -j5 is how many jobs to run concurrently,  i personally set mine between 10-12 but only do this if you have a very good multi core CPU, don't go above 5 if you only have a quadcore or less.

Addition:

Ignore any errors you may see when building, these are normal, if you have made a mistake in your edits, you will know when the cmd window just closes and you end up with no mame.exe

If your make fails for any reason then delete all the files from the src folder and unpack and re-edit again.

Edited by MadK9
Additions.