LaunchBox Community Forums

When using MAME as standalone issues.

Joe35car

Ok I've been down this path before and still am having issues when using standalone MAME or MAME retroarch core for console systems. First off I have all the bios and most recent MAME roms 237. I can launch these games no problem outside of LB. The only way I can get this to work with MAME is through RocketLauncher ui. So example is I'm trying to add the system SNK Neo Geo CD using MAME as the emulator. During the setup I use the rom importer and point to my (folder or files) where the roms are. When I'm ready to import the list is empty. This happens with any other system I use MAME for. I actually only have the arcade working using standalone MAME working but for console games or handhelds it never works. Only with a retroarch core or RLUI. 

Thanks 

Edited by Joe35car

29 minutes ago, Joe35car said:

Ok I've been down this path before and still am having issues when using standalone MAME or MAME retroarch core for console systems. First off I have all the bios and most recent MAME roms 237. I can launch these games no problem outside of LB. The only way I can get this to work with MAME is through RocketLauncher ui. So example is I'm trying to add the system SNK Neo Geo CD using MAME as the emulator. During the setup I use the rom importer and point to my folder where the roms are. When I'm ready to import the list is empty. This happens with any other system I use MAME for. I actually only have the arcade working using standalone MAME working but for console games or handhelds it never works. Only with a retroarch core or RLUI. 

Thanks 

If importing them in MAME zip naming format then make sure you check the "force using MAME metadata...." box at end of import process. It will bring up the MAME import window at that point.  That may not work depending on name/type of file trying to import. Software list imports are not really supported in LB directly. There is a plug-in that does allow you to import software list MAME sets and located here:

If you are using MAME to run software that isn't in MAME standard naming format like say Apple II, Apple IIGS software that sourced somewhere besides a MAME set, then I found you had to select an emulator on import that isn't using the MAME.EXE or it won't show up on end import (no matter if dupes checked or not). It doesn't matter what you select, just something other than MAME initially. Then once imported you can toggle it back to the MAME emulator instance you want to use. 

Edited by sundogak
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. That is kind of weird that we would have to do this. I'm at work now and will try and let you know. Yes the files I'm using are not using MAME naming convention. More no-intro naming. So if I use say the MAME Software Chds for the neo geo cd it will work? I have the complete set for those also. I just wanted to add US games and ones that actually work. I'm using the hyperspin ready sets. 

Edited by Joe35car

Just now, Joe35car said:

Thanks is kind of weird that we would have to do this. I'm at work now and will try and let you know. Yes the files I'm using are not using MAME naming convention. More no-intro naming. 

yeah, if using non-mame name like no-intro then skip to the "kludge" way which is select a non-MAME emulator at first. Then it will import.  It's because for MAME LB is trying to compare to a proper MAME arcade name and doesn't see it so it ignores it. 

Normally it makes sense if using arcade import since want to use the XML MAME provides to convert the zip file name to a real name but for "loose" software it doesn't work.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. I just been trying to clean up my rom sets. Recently I've been converting all my cue/bin files to CHD since most retroarch cores use these extensions. Have over 50k roms, cue/bin, zip etc... so it's a slow process but worth it in the long run. 

Edited by Joe35car