LaunchBox Community Forums

Trackball for mame

UFBoricua84

Viewing your video didn't work, but do you have the following set in your mame.ini file?

paddle_device             mouse
dial_device               mouse
trackball_device          mouse
mouse_device              mouse

You can either set that by manually editing the mame.ini or setting it in the configuration options menu when you start MAME without a rom. (Just make sure to pick save configuration after so changes are saved to mame.ini)

That's assuming you want to use your trackball for all those type analog inputs. You might also want to use your trackball for lightgun games as well so you can set that to mouse as well.

Edited by Headrush69
Added example

• 2 weeks later...

Hit enter to set an input, and then hit ESC to clear.

Those are all digital inputs, you can't set them to an analog device like a trackball, (which is seen as a mouse) without some third party software that can translate analog to digital. 

MAME does however allow mapping digital inputs to analog controls natively. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, UFBoricua84 said:

I actually figured it out on my own. you have to go into the mame main menu, and active the track ball setting. Any idea how to adjust the sensitivities though?

That's what I was trying to tell you. MAME sees all those devices as a mouse, even though it's a trackball.

You adjust the sensitivity per game in the analog controls section when you hit tab to bring the MAME menu up.