LaunchBox Community Forums

Unique setup.. looking for ideas

recordguy42

I have (maybe) a bit of a unique setup and looking for ideas. I am using bigbox on one tv to search through game catalogs, see artwork and manuals but playing games on original hardware on different tv. My issue is that I don't really want to even see the "play" options for games in bigbox. Right now, I have it so it can't find file and a windows box comes up to say file can't be found. Any way to remove play option in code? If not, is there a way to launch manual when click play or anyone have another idea?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 11:58 AM, recordguy42 said:

I have (maybe) a bit of a unique setup and looking for ideas. I am using bigbox on one tv to search through game catalogs, see artwork and manuals but playing games on original hardware on different tv. My issue is that I don't really want to even see the "play" options for games in bigbox. Right now, I have it so it can't find file and a windows box comes up to say file can't be found. Any way to remove play option in code? If not, is there a way to launch manual when click play or anyone have another idea?

Big Box just launches whatever 'exe' it points to. If I'm understanding you correctly, you could just point Big Box to some batch file that opens the manual? Not sure of the intricacies of this though... would need all your manuals naming the same as the game I think. 

Other than that, it sounds like Big Box might not be your best option for what you're trying to achieve? It could be a case of using BB to get all the media/manuals etc and then rolling your own front end to display them? Maybe via an offline website arrangement through the browser?

• 2 months later...

You can disable the play function. So for me all i do is press enter on a game and it goes right in. If I have a rom hack of a game, i hide it under the aditional apps and press tab on a game to see all that extra stuff. Is that what you mean by play? When the menu comes up and you have to choose play or open emulator and stuff like that?