LaunchBox Community Forums

What is the purpose of 'download media from EmuMovies'. Duplication no?

jackhulk

Hello

During the import wizard it ask 'Would you like to download images from your games', and then on the next screen 'Would you like to download media from Emumovies'. Both give you the option for all the different media types, and all are checked by default, however doesn't this just create a load of duplicate images?

On first use after LB had finished downloading media, I then noticed it started downloading again from EmuMovies which I stopped as seemed strange to me. Sure enough, the games that it did manage to download media for there were lots of duplication images, screenshots etc. What is the purpose then of downloading from EmuMovies when you already have media downloaded from the first source? I understand that EmuMovies can provide videos for paid members, but besides that? Media types are the same, i.e. Box 3D, Box Back etc so seems like you would just duplicate everything.

Thank you

EmuMovies has content that differs from ours (though some images aren't a LOT different). We typically say to download everything you want from LaunchBox first, then use EmuMovies to fill any gaps you have in your collection. If on the current version this becomes even easier with the Media Limit being set since it will grab LaunchBox stuff first, THEN EmuMovies. If you have "Remove Rough Image Match" on we also scan images as you get them to see if they are the same image (but in a different file) and attempt to remove those copies as well to help with any potential duplicate image issues.

• Like 1

Cool thanks C-Beats. Would you say generally your content has everything needed? I don't need loads of fanart and tons of screenshots for example. I had remove duplicates selected, but the few games where media was downloaded from EmuMovie also, there were a lot of duplicate images.

I would be interested in video clips and PDF manuals however and understand these become available once subscribed to both LB and EmuMovies. Once subscribed, will 'Videos' and 'PDF Manuals' options appear automatically when I re-scraping or something I would need to do please?

On 11/15/2021 at 3:42 PM, jackhulk said:

Would you say generally your content has everything needed?

This depends on the system. However, like @C-Beats was mentioning, if you set the media limit to only 1 per image group, and then choose to download something like Clear Logo for both LaunchBox GamesDB and EmuMovies, then it will first check and download a clear logo from the LB GamesDB. If it doesn't find out it will then check EmuMovies for one. In the end, you'll still only get 1 clear logo for each game.

On 11/15/2021 at 3:42 PM, jackhulk said:

Once subscribed, will 'Videos' and 'PDF Manuals' options appear automatically when I re-scraping or something I would need to do please?

Yes, those options will appear in LaunchBox once you have logged into an EmuMovies account that has their sub.

• Thanks 2

• 7 months later...
On 11/18/2021 at 3:51 AM, faeran said:

This depends on the system. However, like @C-Beats was mentioning, if you set the media limit to only 1 per image group, and then choose to download something like Clear Logo for both LaunchBox GamesDB and EmuMovies, then it will first check and download a clear logo from the LB GamesDB. If it doesn't find out it will then check EmuMovies for one. In the end, you'll still only get 1 clear logo for each game.

Thanks, I needed this explanation.

• Like 1

Way I handle avoiding dupes specially for screenshots mostly is to get all screenshots from Games DB then unchecking them in EmuMovies. Games DB has screenshots like 99.9% of the time so I just fall back to EmuMovies for flyers/boxes/3d boxes.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

• Like 1