LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox is just soooo slow

vaderag

Okay, I see a load of threads around this, troubleshooting etc etc and I've tried everything

I have a fairly old machine, but it still packs a punch and can emulate everything up to Wii without issue, I used to run Hyperspin, without issue

But Big Box - it just crawls... moving from game to game it will work for a couple then stall for a bit then continue. If I try and change theme or skin (as some are worse than others) then sometimes it'll hang for 10mins
Even on the (apparently) simplest themes it's a similar issue

All my images have been cached etc, so I got to the point where I assumed this must be my HDD, so swapped for an SSD and... same...

Please can someone help me out here - what can I do?

You can try going into BB settings and turning off all the media transitions and then test using the Default theme. Reason I say test with the Default is custom themes can override turning off the media transitions. 

What are your machine specs?

For reference my simplest build is a Ryzen 3 2200G 16gb ram and no dedicated video card and runs without issue. 

44 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

You can try going into BB settings and turning off all the media transitions and then test using the Default theme. Reason I say test with the Default is custom themes can override turning off the media transitions. 

What are your machine specs?

For reference my simplest build is a Ryzen 3 2200G 16gb ram and no dedicated video card and runs without issue. 

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz   2.39 GHz
4GB RAM

GeForce GT 740 2GB

Is there a way to set it to the Default theme throughout outside of Bigbox?

55 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Well I can say that 4GB ram is what is hurting you. BB is a WPF application and loads a good bit of resources into memory. 

Right. So I guess I should look to upgrade that then (or go back to Hyperspin... :/ )

The ram hasn't been an issue for emulation at all

Amazes me that things can run smooth as pie on Android and Retropie but 4GB ram isn't enough to run on a pc...

How do I test out the basic theme easily before I splash out?

On 11/25/2021 at 4:11 PM, Retro808 said:

Well I can say that 4GB ram is what is hurting you. BB is a WPF application and loads a good bit of resources into memory. 

Well, I upgraded the ram. I now have 7gb (was supposed to be 8 but one stick was faulty...) 

It's still slow

I see some improvement, and the default theme works fine except when the videos are on. Seems to be an issue with the videos as far as I can tell