LaunchBox Community Forums

Can I create sub-genres?

Theboombringer

8 hours ago, Theboombringer said:

I'd like to do a genre overhaul for my collection. But I'd like there to be the ability to have subgenres, and create a comprehensive genre taxonomy. Is this possible?

We don't personally use sub-genre's but the Realtime filter does SORTA use them. If you genre is named "Genre / Subgenre" (without quotes) then the realtime filter will shove all the subgenre's under the primary genre. You see this by default when using the MAME Fullset Importer then running the realtime filter against the imported platform. I personally have a build I'm creating where I add a single Genre / Subgenre to every game and it works well.

That is a nice workaround for now, but in the future having less...hacky ways to have subgenres would be neat. Especially since in my current build I wanna add multiple subgenres per game, ones for mechanics, styles of play such as AR and VR, themes such as Cyberpunk, Fantasy, and etc, and they would show up in all the right subgenres, kinda like now franchises work.

On that same note, if you were to one day add this feature, I assume that tech could be used to also allow us to add sub-franchises, which would help my current build as well

For example:

Batman 

Batman: Arkham 

Lego Batman

Bioshock

Edited by Theboombringer

Can already do what you are asking to do (in regard to nesting franchises) with Categories/Playlists inside of Platform Category sidebar view. You cannot via the realtime filter tool though (unless you do the slash trick I talked about).

Also with Theme data I'd make a custom field personally, I do something similar but stick it in a custom field called "Theme". Doesn't hurt anything really to be in genre though.