LaunchBox Community Forums

Installation Field Issue with Imported titles.

HolyLightning

I'm currently having an issue with Launchbox that no matter what I do, titles imported through Steam or other such PC game clients will not allow me to have edits to the "Installed" field persist through instances of Launchbox. Basically, what I mean by that is for example "7 Days to Die" is a game I imported through Steam and it shows up in LB as "Installed = true". If I try to change it to "false" the edit will go through but if I close LB, it will still show up as installed when I relaunch LB after closing it. Curiously enough to, even if I look at the actual .xml file of the platform the game is located under, it even says "false" under the "installed" field for said game. This issue is also reproducible on more than one machine. No external plugins were active either. Here is a list of things I tried below.

• Deleting and reimporting a Steam game. (Changed nothing)
  • Tested with a client other than Steam. (Subnautica through Epic Client) Still does the same as Steam imported games.
  • Disabled plugins, had someone try on a different machine with their LB. (Problem was reproducible, both on vanilla LB and plug-ins enabled)
  • Tried editing the .xml directly. (LB Ignores .xml setting for the "Installed" field)
  • Deleted and reinstated my API key and Steam profile link. (Did nothing)

Help towards a solution would be very much appreciated please and thank you. Wish you all a wonderful day.

3 minutes ago, HolyLightning said:

I'm currently having an issue with Launchbox that no matter what I do, titles imported through Steam or other such PC game clients will not allow me to have edits to the "Installed" field persist through instances of Launchbox. Basically, what I mean by that is for example "7 Days to Die" is a game I imported through Steam and it shows up in LB as "Installed = true". If I try to change it to "false" the edit will go through but if I close LB, it will still show up as installed when I relaunch LB after closing it. Curiously enough to, even if I look at the actual .xml file of the platform the game is located under, it even says "false" under the "installed" field for said game. This issue is also reproducible on more than one machine. No external plugins were active either. Here is a list of things I tried below.

• Deleting and reimporting a Steam game. (Changed nothing)
  • Tested with a client other than Steam. (Subnautica through Epic Client) Still does the same as Steam imported games.
  • Disabled plugins, had someone try on a different machine with their LB. (Problem was reproducible, both on vanilla LB and plug-ins enabled)
  • Tried editing the .xml directly. (LB Ignores .xml setting for the "Installed" field)
  • Deleted and reinstated my API key and Steam profile link. (Did nothing)

Help towards a solution would be very much appreciated please and thank you. Wish you all a wonderful day.

I believe Launchbox does a check at launch for installed games, so it's probably saving fine but being overwritten when Launchbox is re-launched. That would be by design, any reason why you want Launchbox to provide incorrect information to you?

Only time I've seen this happen is if you manually deleted the game instead of uninstalling it properly. For Steam we read the registry entries Steam writes to your system that tells Steam whether the game is installed or not to determine the install state, and for Epic we read the file they save on your computer with the same information. We use the same information the launchers use to determine if a game is installed or not. You may need to open up Steam and Epic and let them resync their files to determine that you removed them from your computer and update the system files they save the information in.

25 minutes ago, unfw said:

I've had this happen for the last 25 Amazon games (from Twitch Prime) and specifically the Epic game "Magic: The Gathering Arena"

Amazon is the same way. We get the uninstaller information from Windows directly. Windows still says the application is installed and we update the flag to agree to it. As previously stated I've never seen this happen if you properly install/uninstall your game. Only time I've seen this reported is if some one just goes and deletes the folder and considers it "uninstalled". You should be able to use the Add/Remove program feature of window to attempt to uninstall those games. It will fail and ask you if you want to remove the item from the list, say yes and then it should remove the entry we read and your install state will be correct. You probably should do it anyway though for the health of your operating system. Having a bunch of orphan registry values isn't really great.

28 minutes ago, unfw said:

I've had this happen for the last 25 Amazon games (from Twitch Prime) and specifically the Epic game "Magic: The Gathering Arena"

Have to say I am actually seeing the same. I just imported the last two months of Amazon/Twitch games which was twenty five in total. The only one i actually have installed is "Blue Fire" which shows as uninstalled in Launchbox, I even closed and re-opened after the import to make sure.

image.thumb.png.413bfa2bebfce961dbcfb533c2d5ac55.png

1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

Amazon is the same way. We get the uninstaller information from Windows directly. Windows still says the application is installed and we update the flag to agree to it. As previously stated I've never seen this happen if you properly install/uninstall your game. Only time I've seen this reported is if some one just goes and deletes the folder and considers it "uninstalled". You should be able to use the Add/Remove program feature of window to attempt to uninstall those games. It will fail and ask you if you want to remove the item from the list, say yes and then it should remove the entry we read and your install state will be correct. You probably should do it anyway though for the health of your operating system. Having a bunch of orphan registry values isn't really great.

I never installed the games before seeing this. I've also tried restoring the installation through the amazon app but I'll try reinstalling the game

I looked into the cause of this and found that the newer apps have a completely different way of assigning IDs that was breaking the integration. I have code changes in place and will let you know when we get them into a public release so you all can verify it corrects what you're seeing.

On 12/7/2021 at 11:20 AM, C-Beats said:

I looked into the cause of this and found that the newer apps have a completely different way of assigning IDs that was breaking the integration. I have code changes in place and will let you know when we get them into a public release so you all can verify it corrects what you're seeing.

This appears to be fixed in the latest public release.