LaunchBox Community Forums

EmuMovies Not Fetching Video Snaps?

Spottyfriend

So I have a Premium Lisence for Launchbox and a Lifetime Supporter subscription for EmuMovies. I've only just purchased the latter so still figuring out exactly how it works, so this might be a noob question.

Anyway, I have a few Switch games on Launchbox including Let's Go Pikachu. EmuMovies (on their website) seem to have Video Snaps for some amount of Switch games including Let's Go Pikachu (here: https://emumovies.com/files/file/4070-nintendo-switch-video-snaps/), yet when I edit the game on Launchbox, navigate to Media -> Videos, go to the EmuMovies tab and attempt to search for media, it reads 'Could not find the associated platform in the EmuMovies system list.'. Why is it not finding the snaps which I can myself see on their website? Any help very much appreciated - thanks!

1 minute ago, Spottyfriend said:

it reads 'Could not find the associated platform in the EmuMovies system list.'

What did you call the platform, and if a non standard name did you set the "Scrape As" to Nintendo Switch. That error reads like we cant tell what platform the game is for, which is obviously important to scrape media for a game.

29 minutes ago, Spottyfriend said:

Anyway, I have a few Switch games on Launchbox including Let's Go Pikachu. EmuMovies (on their website) seem to have Video Snaps for some amount of Switch games including Let's Go Pikachu (here: https://emumovies.com/files/file/4070-nintendo-switch-video-snaps/), yet when I edit the game on Launchbox, navigate to Media -> Videos, go to the EmuMovies tab and attempt to search for media, it reads 'Could not find the associated platform in the EmuMovies system list.'. Why is it not finding the snaps which I can myself see on their website? Any help very much appreciated - thanks!

What is available on their website is not always the same as what is available through their API, the link you posted their is to user uploaded snaps pack, and not official emumovies snaps so are likely not available via the emumovies API, it may be that the API doesnt even support switch as its a current system and that is murky waters. Pretty sure all my Switch videos i have ripped from Youtube now i think about it.

Ah I see that makes sense. Although I do have a similar problem with other games, for example in the case below where EmuMovies can't find a Video Snap for Fire Red despite the existence of an extensive GBA video collection (this time official) on EmuMovies website (here - https://emumovies.com/files/file/2663-game-boy-advance-video-snaps-pack-sq/). Given that it was last updated 2018 it'd be very disappointing if it was not available through their API...
 image.thumb.png.8bf82796407c4e8957218ce9f1bbfa9a.png

3 minutes ago, Spottyfriend said:

Ah I see that makes sense. Although I do have a similar problem with other games, for example in the case below where EmuMovies can't find a Video Snap for Fire Red despite the existence of an extensive GBA video collection (this time official) on EmuMovies website (here - https://emumovies.com/files/file/2663-game-boy-advance-video-snaps-pack-sq/). Given that it was last updated 2018 it'd be very disappointing if it was not available through their API...
 image.thumb.png.8bf82796407c4e8957218ce9f1bbfa9a.png

Something wrong with your image there, should be far more than just a Cart - Front image.

This is what i see for that game.

image.thumb.png.10f07895ba5730b2305011951c59478b.png

I also have the video snap for it as well.

I'd verify your games title, the platform name, and the scrape as of the platform (if you aren't using a standard name for it). Typically any issues with EmuMovies not finding the right image types are caused by that. You could also verify your EmuMovies credentials are correct (though I would doubt that is the cause since you are at least seeing SOMETHING in that window).

Could you explain what you mean by 'verify' the names?

I have checked that the name of the platform (in this case Nintendo Game Boy Advance but I'm having the same problem with my DS games) is the same as the one that is selected from the dropdown box of Scrape As. I'm not using a non-standard name. The name of the game (in this case Pokémon FireRed Version but I also have this problem with games on the DS) is the same as the name given by Launchbox's database when I search for metadata, so I'm not using a non-standard name for that either.

If this is what you mean by verify, then I have done so and nothing seems to explain the problem, which is that I cannot seem to fetch a full list of media from EmuMovies (particularly video snaps).

4 minutes ago, Spottyfriend said:

Could you explain what you mean by 'verify' the names?

I have checked that the name of the platform (in this case Nintendo Game Boy Advance but I'm having the same problem with my DS games) is the same as the one that is selected from the dropdown box of Scrape As. I'm not using a non-standard name. The name of the game (in this case Pokémon FireRed Version but I also have this problem with games on the DS) is the same as the name given by Launchbox's database when I search for metadata, so I'm not using a non-standard name for that either.

If this is what you mean by verify, then I have done so and nothing seems to explain the problem, which is that I cannot seem to fetch a full list of media from EmuMovies (particularly video snaps).

Yeah. I mean if you're not using the name provided from the drop down for your platform (like using the name "GBA" instead of "Nintendo Game Boy Advance" for example). I would try to remove the special e and replace it with a normal one and see if that helps. Some times the artwork doesn't use those characters (or not ALL of them do) and it causes mismatches like that.

(Partial) success! The media download now looks like this, even though it still displays less than our friend niel9000's above. I guess two questions then: 1) is there any general fix for when a game doesn't find any video from EmuMovies other than messing around for a while with the name of the game and trying various versions of it (this might take a very very long time if I have to do it for 10s - not to much others who have 100s - of games, and would probably require me to check via their website whether EmuMovies *ought* to be finding a video for each game I'm struggling with so I know I'm not doing all the trial-and-error in vain)? And 2) Is this therefore a problem with Launchbox's metadata database, that it provides one name and EmuMovies requires a different one? Surely it would be preferable for the database to automatically provide a name that EmuMovies reads properly?

image.thumb.png.4fe4162407cee9b845e67b65d2ffbf86.png

2) Is this therefore a problem with Launchbox's metadata database, that it provides one name and EmuMovies requires a different one? Surely it would be preferable for the database to automatically provide a name that EmuMovies reads properly?

No, it's more a problem of your roms are badly named to start with. I highly recommend when downloading cart based rom packs to only get "No - Intro" packs, and for disc based systems you want "Redump" packs. The scraper works great, but it does need relatively correct names to match correctly. What is the actual file name for that pokemon rom?

For example, experiencing a similar problem with Pokémon HeartGold, I've tried the names: Pokémon HeartGold; Pokémon HeartGold Version, Pokemon HeartGold, Pokemon HeartGold Version. And none of those find a game on EmuMovies. It could take a very long time if I have to trial and error every game that has this problem.

My list looked similar to Neils when I tried on mine so you definitely have something going on still. Care to take a snap of your metadata page for me? Our names do typically match up. I didn't have to change anything for mine to scrape correctly so there may still be something else going on.

For example, experiencing a similar problem with Pokémon HeartGold, I've tried the names: Pokémon HeartGold; Pokémon HeartGold Version, Pokemon HeartGold, Pokemon HeartGold Version. And none of those find a game on EmuMovies. It could take a very long time if I have to trial and error every game that has this problem.

Do you have the rom matched to a GamesDB ID in the metadata tab? If you don't it can make the EmuMovies search far less accurate. Why I was asking for screenshot of the metadata page

Care to take a snap of your metadata page for me? 

Sure - thanks for sticking with this! (This is having altered the name from the one given by the LaunchboxDB - Pokémon FireRed Version - to the one you suggested - Pokemon: FireRed Version, but I've changed nothing else from what is provided by clicking 'Search for Metadata' and choosing the correct game.)

image.thumb.png.e9cd916a409e73b39e0e536871f0926f.png

Edited by Spottyfriend

Hmm, I'm a bit of a loss then. Neil may be onto something with the filename. I've not really seen people have the issue you seem to be having, though I admit the Pokemon games I could see potentially having more issues than others. I personally have been able to scrape all the released titles without any changes though.