LaunchBox Community Forums

Heavy emulation much slower in launchbox?

erling1000

Hi

When I choose some MAME games that I guess have “heavy” demands to my pc, they perform bad through Launchbox but fine through just MAME.

Games like Aquarush.zip and dfkbl.zip (DoDonPachi Dai-Fukkatsu Black Label) perform 100% when I check FPS via pressing F11 in just MAME, but if I choose the game through Launchbox the FPS are as low as 30-50%.

Normally games perform fine through LB. Any ideas why such a dramatic slowdown? OBS Studio isn’t running.

My setup:

Lenovo Gaming Laptop

Intel i5 9300HF 2,4gHz CPU

8 GB RAM

500 GB SSD Hardrive, but roms are on an extern HDD

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050

Windows 11 Home

Launchbox 12.6 Premium

Mame 0.227

Edited by erling1000

• 2 weeks later...

I'd check Task Manager and see if anything of your computer resources are running low. If I had to guess it's because of your RAM amount. 8GB isn't a ton by todays standards and will fill up quickly depending on what all you are doing. If you find RAM may be the issue you could try to increase your page file size and see if that helps. It will let the OS dump some of your RAM from non-active process to your hard drive to help free up memory.

OK, thanks for your 2 inputs 😊

You may be right, I just didn’t think there was such a big difference when launching with or without LB.

Out of curiosity: Is it possible for you to check the difference on these games on your system(s), launched via LB / just MAME. It’s OK if not possible 😊

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2022 at 4:44 PM, neil9000 said:

Also MAME only uses the CPU, and yours is a Laptop chip at only 2.4Ghz that's actually quite slow when compared to a desktop CPU that these days are likely to be around 4Ghz at least, so that could also be a issue when trying to run multiple simultaneous programs.

Hi neil9000 and others

If I get what you say, my system is to slow to run the MAMEgames like dfkbl and others with same driver, when launched from LB. Becuse of 2,4 vs 4.0 gHz?

But when I play it in just MAME, I don’t close LB just minimize LB like when I launched it out of LB. Won’t the demands to my processor speed be the same, when the same programs are open? LB minimize when games are launched vs. I minimize. LB and MAME are open and LB is minimized while I play, both ways.

Is there something LB does when launching that really slows my system? Does LB monitor / interact with MAME while I’m playing or just pause when minimized after launching?

And I have no problems running DoDonPachi 3, (my question was about an earlier DoDonPachi game) which features the same or better graphics, speed and clouds of bullets (they are bullet hell shooters) and made by the same company (Cave).

Greetings 😊

Edited by erling1000

Some thoughts:

The mentioned games feature a Hitachi H something CPU. And MAME warns me they have flaws in the emulation of graphics (Aqua Rush) or timing (DoDonPachi ones).

But still the difference in launching via LB or MAME is significant …

Edited by erling1000