LaunchBox Community Forums

Music Video and Movie Trailers

Aberto2k

Hi there,

I'm in the process of updating my arcade cabinets that are currently running MalaFE or AtomicFE front ends (yes, they are very old - built them all between 2006 and 2012).

LaunchBox seems to be a good fit (especially with an android version), but there's one feature I can't seem to find/confirm in the feature list : the ability to simply select and play videos.

All my cabinets have a nostalgia section where I've stored Video Game inspired commercials, music videos, and movie trailers that are very popular for those for whom I've built these machines. No - they are not YouTube links.

If someone can confirm that this is possible, I'd greatly appreciate it. 

Be seeing you, 

Aberto2k

1 hour ago, Aberto2k said:

select and play videos

LaunchBox will run/play pretty much anything you throw at it.  

Import your (mp4) videos into your 'Nostalgia' (or whatever you decide to call it) Platform.  Skip past (for now) the section for which emulator to use (i.e. 'don't use an emulator').  Once they're imported, double click one of the "games" [videos] and it will open the video using your default video player.

Now that you have proof-of-concept, you can add an emulator that points to your video player of choice and add in a Default Command-line Parameter(s) such as "--fullscreen".  Then use 'that emulator' to launch [play] them.

image.thumb.png.3f7663ac0899394bc9078005b2d19368.png

Yeah as stated Launchbox will run pretty much any file type as long as there is a program that will run said files from a command line interface, be aware though that our database is only for games, so you will have pretty bare "systems" when importing non game files, i.e. no metadata or images at all unless manually sourced and added yourself.

Niel9000,

That's to be expected, and luckily I already have those from my MalaFE and AtomicFE installations so it's just a matter of setting it all up. 

Unfortunately - this might end up me making my own theme... again.

Hopefully creating or modifying an existing theme in Launchbox won't be as painstaking as it was for those older frontends - going to look into that once I've got everything set up and tested.

Be seeing you, 

Aberto2k