LaunchBox Community Forums

I took a look at your logs and ini file, and it looks like the sequence is what I would have expected, so I guess I'd just say don't bother with the "4" event for now and stick with the "Use MAME..." option since it works.  It might be that this will be needed with non-MAME emulators, but some further experimentation may be needed. If you do happen to discover anything further let me know since I'm going to add some of this to the documentation.

Oh, and just as an FYI, if you wanted the delay(1000) to come after stopledblinky (I think that was probably your intention), make sure it has a "-" in front of it.  The way it works is that all items without the minus will run in order prior to the game launching, and all items with minus signs in front of them will run, in order, after the game exits.  So it should look like this:

run_apps=ledblinky,delay(5000),-stopledblinky,-delay(1000)

Regarding hiding the task bar, I took a look at this too and there does seem to be a bug, possibly related to a focus issue. After thinking about it though, I've decided that overriding the Windows auto-hide task bar setting is probably the wrong approach anyway. So the next update will remove this and replace it with a new hide_taskbar setting in the [Front_End_os] section that will work just like the hide_cursor setting (and be turned off by default). Rather than change the Windows setting, it will hide and restore the taskbar window itself.  This should also eliminate the gray bar at the bottom of the screen that the auto-hide always seems to leave behind.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

where I can find the icons for the arcadeEIP for the streamdeck? I like those one you have but I can not find them. Let me know  and Thank you

Another questions how I can make with eip and streamdeck to assign a button for mame emulator and go direct to that with launchbox?

Edited by raptor
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 9:49 PM, raptor said:

where I can find the icons for the arcadeEIP for the streamdeck? I like those one you have but I can not find them. Let me know  and Thank you

Another questions how I can make with eip and streamdeck to assign a button for mame emulator and go direct to that with launchbox?

As per our PM on these topics (and for the benefit of any others with this question), the arcade game icons are the "standard" MAME .ico files that you should be able to find around the Internet; and I just searched online for the animated gifs, so they came from a variety of places.

Really like the concept on this.  I know it's an early release (pre 1.0) but here are some suggestions:

1.  Enable other images to be displayed when scrolling thru the gamelist (besides just the logo).  Such as a screenshot or an in-game video.
2.  Enable alternate layouts other than dead-center list of games (I happen to prefer left-Justified lists)
3.  ArcadeEIP seems to default to saving a snapshot (saved state) of the game; this is a good idea so as to avoid having to go thru the boot-up sequence of a game - but it also means if I quit a game mid-play it returns the the same point.  I'd suggest a "snapshot" feature that isn't automatic.

Edited by aaciii

Posted (edited)
On 2/4/2024 at 11:34 AM, aaciii said:

Really like the concept on this.  I know it's an early release (pre 1.0) but here are some suggestions:

1.  Enable other images to be displayed when scrolling thru the gamelist (besides just the logo).  Such as a screenshot or an in-game video.
2.  Enable alternate layouts other than dead-center list of games (I happen to prefer left-Justified lists)
3.  ArcadeEIP seems to default to saving a snapshot (saved state) of the game; this is a good idea so as to avoid having to go thru the boot-up sequence of a game - but it also means if I quit a game mid-play it returns the the same point.  I'd suggest a "snapshot" feature that isn't automatic.

Sorry for the delayed response...All great suggestions. 

1. This will be supported in the next release (v0.4.3.0+), and is already working great in test. In addition to the system and game rom logos, there will be support for up to four additional still images (left/right at the top, and left/right in the center). You will be able to set these to any type of image you want, and will be able to specify unlimited levels of fallback for images that are missing and or timed image sequencing. You will also have some limited ability to resize and re-position the images within the constraints of their regions on the screen. All of these settings will be able to be set both globally as a default and/or customized per emulator/system type for total control.
  2. It would be simple to optionally left justify the list. But it wouldn't make sense without also left justifying the selected system and selected game windows as well, which I don't think would look so good without a more significantly re-thought/redesigned layout. I'm not opposed to this at all, but can't immediately think of a layout that remains functionally optimized for fast single-screen navigation of all systems and games and still looks good. But I will keep the idea in mind, and would be happy to look at any layout proposals you might have in mind for future consideration.
  3. I think this is a great idea and will be including a basic implementation of this in the next release (v0.4.3.0+).

Thanks again for these suggestions.

Edited by Gildahl

• 1 month later...

Hi. I am having trouble launching games from within arcadeEip after running eip.exe. The seed game runs, but nothing else will. I tried changing the Launch key in the config file to numerous values, but nothing works.

On 5/11/2024 at 11:29 AM, Gmcdermottsc said:

Hi. I am having trouble launching games from within arcadeEip after running eip.exe. The seed game runs, but nothing else will. I tried changing the Launch key in the config file to numerous values, but nothing works.

A few things to diagnose...

1.  May I assume you are able to invoke the game menu, and that you see your games listed there?

2.  When you attempt to run a game (other than the seed game), exactly what happens?

3.  After attempting to run a game that fails, exit arcadeEIP and try to execute the file runlast_native.bat, which will execute the last game run command line outside of arcadeEIP.  Does the game run?  If not, do you get any messages or errors?

30 minutes ago, Gildahl said:

A few things to diagnose...

1.  May I assume you are able to invoke the game menu, and that you see your games listed there?

2.  When you attempt to run a game (other than the seed game), exactly what happens?

3.  After attempting to run a game that fails, exit arcadeEIP and try to execute the file runlast_native.bat, which will execute the last game run command line outside of arcadeEIP.  Does the game run?  If not, do you get any messages or errors?

1. Yes I can invoke the game menu with a .

2. When I try to run a game with the left ctrl key, it looks like it runs the seed game with a saved state.

3. The first time I tried to run the runlast_native.bat it had an error due to a space in the mame directory between the mame and the version number example: mame 0.264. I renamed the directory and updated the config file. It seems to launch only the seed game when I press the left ctrl key. Do I have to highlight the game I want to run?

Thank you for your quick reply. I like the whole concept of this project and want to see it running.

Posted (edited)

Yes, you will need to highlight the game in the menu, then press LCtrl to run it.   When you do this...

a.  Does the game now run?

b.  If not, does the game run when you execute the runlast_native.bat file, or does that also only launch the seed game?

Edited by Gildahl

Hi Yes I highlighted astro blaster and hit the left ctrl.

It made a noise and didn't do much else. I tried launching another game and it would not try any more without exiting.

This is what is in the native batch file. Galaga is the seed game.

F:
CD F:\MAME0.243
F:\MAME0.243\mame.exe  galaga -nowindow -joy -skip_gameinfo -autosave -nosleep -priority 1 -keyboardprovider dinput

Thank you

Posted (edited)

That does seem very strange.  Could you try once more, then exit, and then attach your arcadeEIP.log file.  One thing I'm wondering about is whether having a dot in your folder name (i.e. MAME0.243) might be tripping something up.  Do you think you could also temporarily rename it so it doesn't have a dot and test to at least eliminate that possibility?

Edited by Gildahl

Hi. I removed the . from the mame directory, edited the config file to point to it then tried it. It did the same thing. It tried to load the seed game with a save state.

I have pasted the log file:

[00.218] STARTUP: arcadeEIP, Rev. 0.4.2.0. License: Public. Free for non-commercial use.
[00.218] ===============================================================================
[00.281] INFO: Started on: Monday, May 13, 2024, at 3:50 PM
[00.296] INFO: Native Width: 1920, Native Height: 1080
[00.312] INFO: DPI: 96, DPI Width: 1920, DPI Height: 1080
[00.468] INFO: 3rd party library bass.dll found. Sound support ON.
[00.625] INFO: Original argument list: 
[00.625] INFO: eip.exe launched with no arguments.
[00.703] INFO: Auto-Switch mode is on (delay set to 120 seconds, timer set to 5).
[04.234] NOTICE: Autoswitch mode has nothing to switch. 1 vector files found.
[04.234] INFO: Attempting to launch the seed_rom: mame galaga.zip
[04.234] INFO: System key has been resolved: sys_key=mame
[04.250] INFO: Active front-end is: os
[04.437] INFO: Marquee file set to: C:\arcadeeip\Assets\MAME\Marquee\Rom\galaga.png
[04.437] INFO: Starting keyboard strobe for magic_key support.
[04.578] INFO: hide_taskbar=1; Windows taskbar will be turned off during runtime.
[04.593] INFO: Logo file set to: C:\arcadeeip\Assets\MAME\Logo\Rom\galaga.png
[04.671] INFO: Showing start screen (minimum duration: 1 seconds)
[08.921] LAUNCH: EMULATOR: RunWait (Min) F:\MAME0243\mame.exe galaga -nowindow -joy -skip_gameinfo -autosave -nosleep -priority 1 -keyboardprovider dinput
[10.765] INFO: Begin loading picker menu.
[15.921] INFO: Deserialized 6 states from .state file.
[15.937] INFO: Completed loading game menu (5 seconds).
[26.187] INFO: Sent {Event} Exit Key Sequence: {Esc}.
[42.625] INFO: >^>!k pressed. Terminating arcadeEIP.
[42.640] INFO: Serialized 6 states to .state file.
[42.671] Exiting eip.exe
[42.796] INFO: Restored original taskbar state.
[42.796] INFO: Runwait cycle average: 1.3072625698324023 ms. Peak was: 1.8166666666666667 ms.

Thank you