LaunchBox Community Forums

How to replicate a build to another computer

Gef

Hello all; if I would like to replicate 1:1 a build I have on a computer (win 10) in another computer (win 10), which is the best way? is it  somehow possible? assuming in the target computer I've got same identical folders/files/installed games for windows etc..

It would be enough to copy Launchbox user data folder 1:1? or what.

Thanks, I'll try that and inform of the result. My build is really minimal, just a couple old school emus (official mame standalone and demul), plus windows based games (Amazon/Steam/Epic/GOG, etc.), so I have high hopes :)

Edited by Gef

I use a standalone hard disk which I always set as L:

My structure (simplified) is

-Emulators

-LaunchBox

-RetroArch

I use relative paths and whenever is not possible (e.g in some standalone emulators) I use the full path which since I have the drive always set as L:, it wont change.

So, I can grab my hardisk, put it in a USBbox or on the PC SATA, plug into a friend's PC and play in zero time.

If I remember corectly, only VPX gives me some trouble because it needs to run some Registry things into the new PC in order to operate...which is easy. I have a batch ready.

I have also another disk as a backup and once a 2 weeks time I use the EXCELLENT FreeFileSync software ( https://freefilesync.org/ )  which synchronises all additions/alterations/deletions from the production to the backup disk. I am using the paid version (very cheap) which it has more threads and the sync is done super quickly.

So I have a portable setup which is quite safe as well.

I hope that helps if someone creates a new Launchbox set up.

Edited by Wally

20 minutes ago, Gef said:

Thanks, I'll try that and inform of the result. My build is really minimal, just a couple old school emus (official mame standalone and demul), plus windows based games (Amazon/Steam/Epic/GOG, etc.), so I have high hopes :)

You should be relatively good to go. Most of the time if anything is not working you may just need to correct a path. Good thing is it is easy in LB.