LaunchBox Community Forums

Coin limiter for Arcade games

martijnsx

20 minutes ago, lfan said:

Unfortunately, it still doesn't work. Have you tested with any joystick?

Yes.  Added the script to the Running Script section of my MAME emulator.  Using a wireless Xbox 360 controller.  Launched "1942".  Once loaded, pressed "Start" on the controller (my 'button 8').  Pressed it 5 times with a slight pause between each press (for the Sleep, 750).  Got to 5 credits.  Pressed Start again... nothing. No more credits.

What exactly isn't working for you?  Can you add ANY credits? Can you add 5?  Does it add a 6th one if you attempt to do so?

51 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

Yes.  Added the script to the Running Script section of my MAME emulator.  Using a wireless Xbox 360 controller.  Launched "1942".  Once loaded, pressed "Start" on the controller (my 'button 8').  Pressed it 5 times with a slight pause between each press (for the Sleep, 750).  Got to 5 credits.  Pressed Start again... nothing. No more credits.

What exactly isn't working for you?  Can you add ANY credits? Can you add 5?  Does it add a 6th one if you attempt to do so?

Could you test the script with Launchbox + MAME core (RetroArch)? Keyboard scripts work with MAME core.

1 minute ago, lfan said:

Could you test the script with Launchbox + MAME core (RetroArch)? Keyboard scripts work with MAME core.

Still curious... What exactly isn't working for you?  Can you add ANY credits? Can you add 5?  Does it add a 6th one if you attempt to do so?

Regardless, that might be your problem.  It's highly recommended to use stand-alone MAME for... well, MAME.  I've heard that controllers can have issues when using the RA core.  I've never personally tested it because I don't (and more-than-likely won't) use RA and its MAME core.

Nothing personal, but no.  Maybe someone else can chime in and test it via RA.

9 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

Still curious... What exactly isn't working for you?  Can you add ANY credits? Can you add 5?  Does it add a 6th one if you attempt to do so?

Regardless, that might be your problem.  It's highly recommended to use stand-alone MAME for... well, MAME.  I've heard that controllers can have issues when using the RA core.  I've never personally tested it because I don't (and more-than-likely won't) use RA and its MAME core.

Nothing personal, but no.  Maybe someone else can chime in and test it via RA.

Test Result:

dinput Arcade Joystick (Select Button, 1Joy9)
dinput RetroFlag Controller (Select Button, 1Joy7)

MAME (stand-alone): Works!*
* Standard settings.
MAME (RA): Works!*
* Had to change in MAME "Coin 1 - 5 or Joy 1 SELECT" to "Coin 1 - 5".

xinput Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller (Back Button, 1Joy7)
xinput RetroFlag Controller (Back Button, 1Joy7)

MAME (stand-alone): Doesn't Work*
* Even changing in MAME "Coin 1 - 5 or Joy 1 Back" to "Coin 1 - 5".
MAME (RA): Doesn't Work*
* Even changing in MAME "Coin 1 - 5 or Joy 1 SELECT" to "Coin 1 - 5".

Something related to dinput and xinput?

12 hours ago, lfan said:

xinput Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller (Back Button, 1Joy7)
xinput RetroFlag Controller (Back Button, 1Joy7)

MAME (stand-alone): Doesn't Work*
* Even changing in MAME "Coin 1 - 5 or Joy 1 Back" to "Coin 1 - 5".

"Doesn't work" means the button doesn't add credits.

Thanks for clarifying what doesn't work.

Tested with the Back button (7) and that worked as well for me.  But if in MAME, Coin 1 is set to "5 or Joy 1 Back" the script won't work to limit it to 5 credits.  Setting it without 'Joy 1 Back' did work to limit it.

1. If you used the keyboard to enter credits then start the game, will either Xinput controllers work to play the game (move, shoot, run, jump...)?
    • If not, make sure the controller is ON before starting MAME. 
      • Since you were able to set 'Joy 1 Back', I assume they do work in-game
      • But even then, when you had it at "Coin 1 - 5 or Joy 1 Back", if it didn't accept a coin, then there's likely a controller [type] issue.
  2. Did you add to the top of the script "SetKeyDelay, 125, 50 " (without quotes)?
    • Without this line at the top, the script won't work.
      • But again, when you had it at "Coin 1 - 5 or Joy 1 Back", regardless of the script, it should still accept a coin using the Back button.

Beyond that, I'm at a loss as to why it doesn't accept the Coin input for either of your Xinput controllers.

2 hours ago, lfan said:

"Doesn't work" means the button doesn't add credits.

After thought... May try ONLY having an Xinput controller connected before stating a MAME game.  I don't have any Dinput controllers to test, so don't know for sure if that would 'confuse' MAME by having 2 different input types plugged in at the same time.

2 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

Thanks for clarifying what doesn't work.

Tested with the Back button (7) and that worked as well for me.  But if in MAME, Coin 1 is set to "5 or Joy 1 Back" the script won't work to limit it to 5 credits.  Setting it without 'Joy 1 Back' did work to limit it.

1. If you used the keyboard to enter credits then start the game, will either Xinput controllers work to play the game (move, shoot, run, jump...)?
    • If not, make sure the controller is ON before starting MAME. 
      • Since you were able to set 'Joy 1 Back', I assume they do work in-game
      • But even then, when you had it at "Coin 1 - 5 or Joy 1 Back", if it didn't accept a coin, then there's likely a controller [type] issue.
  2. Did you add to the top of the script "SetKeyDelay, 125, 50 " (without quotes)?
    • Without this line at the top, the script won't work.
      • But again, when you had it at "Coin 1 - 5 or Joy 1 Back", regardless of the script, it should still accept a coin using the Back button.

Beyond that, I'm at a loss as to why it doesn't accept the Coin input for either of your Xinput controllers.

Only one xinput controller (XBOX360) connected before stating a MAME game.
SetKeyDelay, 125, 50 on the top of the script.

- "Coin 1 - 5 or Joy 1 Back": I can insert credits (unlimited) (keyboard/joystick) and play (keyboard/joystick).
- "Coin 1 - 5": I can insert credits (unlimited) (keyboard only) and play (keyboard/joystick).

The most important for me is that the script is working for Arcade Joystick. You helped me alot. Thank you very much.

• Game On 1