LaunchBox Community Forums

I'm just sharing my experience and my thoughts when using launch box / big box

oldgamer

I'm not here to make a complaint I'm not here to discuss of debating about the software I'm just sharing my experience and my thoughts about the program launch box for big box I spent $75 to get the unlimited update for the program and I think the program is really great but there's something we need to look into deeply it's not for everyone especially me. I'm a 61 year old man who loves emulators and enjoy them because I can't afford to buy the old consoles or the new consoles so I'm pretty much a PC person but at the same time it took me six years to understand how to operate a computer PC and how to understand how to use Windows it took me another four years to even figure out how to use these emulators I thought by buying me the premium lunch box for big box I thought it was meant to be easy for us elderly people and to be frankly it's not that easy I thought if I spend money by supporting the people who made big box for lunch box it's supposed to be make it easy for me as well but it's not all cracked up to be I am not a programmer I never took any kind of class whatsoever and to be Frank Lee I thought this supposed to be easy for us old people who never actually never took any kind of computer class or any type of programming I didn't expect that this is going to be this difficult to just a setup and run the program do you really think that everyone in the world actually can remember how to understand scripting in the big box program I sure don't and to be frank I don't really don't understand any of this mumbo-jumbo stuff it would it be nice if most of the emulators that we choose to install on the lunch box for Big Box should have should be more clear but it's not it took me at least four days to figure out how to install the PlayStation 3 emulator on big box and I had a lot of problems with it to this day I'm still having problem with it at first the problem will solve but then it wasn't you know how annoying that is I feel that the program should be more for friendly user for everyone including us old people I feel that I wasted enough time that lunch box does not want to work for certain emulators. I'm not going to go through the details because I don't want this message to be a wall text and I know a lot of people don't feel like doing a lot of reading so I'm going to end this with a word of advice please make lunch pack better again and make it more easy for everyone stay making it complicated because nobody in the world are programmers where I buy standard human beings whose just don't know anything about programming.  

okay now let's discuss about video tutorials from YouTube by ET Prime most of his videos are not 100% accurate he's only showing how to install the program and I think that we got to have to figure out things for ourselves but that's not the case if you're going to focus on making a tutorial about using lunch box for big box he needs to learn to not skip any type of details the reasoning for baking up tutorial is to keep it at least 60 Minutes long and not 10 minutes or 5 minutes long when I try to follow his video I noticed that he made a lot of mistakes on his tutorials some of them were accurate but some of them are aren't and I feel like we need someone who can ask you can explain it a lot better without no skipping any types and important information when installing emulators for the lunch box for big box this is just an opinion that I'm sharing because this is how I feel about it like I said I'm not debating and I'm not arguing or complaining I'm just sharing my experience. There are some things that he explains that I actually worth watching when following his videos I do appreciate that how he explains about the new updates have been released for the a lunch box for B box and I think that's great I also love how he conducts himself when showing off new update for the software but nonetheless I feel that he's skipping a lot of information that we need to iron out show of the most details and most important information for our experience he needs to learn that he needs to extend his videos to at least 60 Minutes instead of being 10 to 15 minutes this way he doesn't feel like you need to rush himself when he's trying to conduct information that we need to learn for his video tutorials I highly recommend that it is best to give out all the details we can for us old people who never experience using lunch box for big box explaining every detail is important it only takes 60 Minutes of his time to do so instead of skipping everything because I feel like he did skip a lot of things that was important I'm just sharing my experience when I was following his videos

Here my last final thoughts about the program and just an opinion with my experience with the software please make the software more friendly user for us older people. This programs is great for more for people that has more experiences but not for everyone are tech sabbie  or software sabbie and I totally understand that but you also have to understand the experience that we're going through and it's not really friendly user for old people like us who love playing games especially the classics.

this is new technology and new software to us we treated like a Old VCR machine dealing with trials and error just to get the big picture. We old people most the time don't know what we're doing until we start asking for assistance and of course we understand that we have the help section in the forms for that occasion and I like to say is I really do appreciate the help because everyone who I contact me. They actually help me with a problem that I had.  But I still have issues regardless of course I will continue posting my trouble shootings in the new section even though I feel like the word "NOOB" is not kind of forum section name should be used. 

it's because it took me a very long time just to find a set you for helping people I mean come on calling it the word noob doesn't work for me my son had to tell me where it was located and I laughed but at the same time I said it took me four hours just to find it what you only took you 2 seconds that kind of a bad experience to me it was very weird so please change the name call a novice help or help with emulators help with issue something but the word Noob come on guys anyways that's all I have to say and just want to do is want to show you what kind of experience that I had to do with when using the program and also dealing with the YouTube videos tutorials by ETB Prime and experience with the forums.

thank you for taking the time to read my article and my topic this is old gamer saying God bless and take it easy you guys

Edited by oldgamer

23 minutes ago, oldgamer said:

This programs is great for more for people that has more experiences but not for everyone are tech sabbie

Launchbox is the easiest to use Windows  frontend out there. I i need to read the rest of this post, but its difficult and will taka a while, due to lack of punctuation, its seemingly a long rant about how you got old, but I'm willing to chew through it somewhat, it may just take a while, so if you would bare with me? 

Pretty long winded post to essentially state that you don't really have a good basic grasp on computers and how to operate them. Now I am not making fun of you or coming down on you for that but emulation is something where you really do need the basics of computer use.

You picked out the PS3 emulator which is one of the more problematic and confusing emulators to use and because of it's disk image format it makes it a real pain to import into LB but nearly all other emulators and rom sets are quite easy to use and import.

Another issue and not one that is your fault is the fact that while emulators themselves are legal the roms  and bios that are required for emulators to function are not so naturally those cannot be provided by Launchbox. Those are always on the end user to supply themselves and this is true for any emulation software or frontend.

ETA Primes videos are generally pretty spot on with the information required to get the emulators up and running through Launchbox. Maybe some of the older tutorials are out of date, I have no idea. At the same time though some information he may leave out could be some basic computer knowledge which is tough to add into a video because we can't be teaching people basic computer usage in the same video as adding an emulator to Launchbox.

If you feel that Launchbox is difficult to use you really should try some of the other options out there such as HyperSpin, AttractMode, Playnite or even a Raspberry Pi image. None of them provide roms or bios and only a Raspberry Pi image will provide the emulators but what that will emulate is very limited in comparison. Now, you could look around the internet for someone elses pre-made setup but those are highly illegal and we will not provide support for them. Or worse yet you could throw your money away on a pre-loaded hard drive which is even more illegal and very unlikely to even work.

If you are having troubles please post here on the forums with any questions or hit us up on Discord. Remember though the first thing you should always do is make sure that your games are working in the emulator first before importing to Launchbox. It makes helping troubleshoot issues much easier.

We also have a thread with links to written tutorials which should all still be relevant information: