LaunchBox Community Forums

Noob questions

StuMcBill

Hi,

I’m new to Launchbox, and am still finding my way round, but am loving it so far. I have a few questions (probably been asked a million times before - so please feel free to point me in their direction if so).

1. I’ve imported a full Mame set along with the corresponding mame.exe, but I have noticed that at least 1 game is missing.  If I search for Virtua Fighter, it doesn’t show up in LaunchBox.  If I load mame manually and run it there, it works fine. Any ideas?

2. My 32x rom collection has the official games, and a folder of hacks. Is there a way I can keep these separate? Having the hacks as a child menu item for 32x?

3. Can I set a controller hotkey combination to exit a game?

4. Anyway I can hide BIOS files from the game list?

Thanks

Stewart

1. I’ve imported a full Mame set along with the corresponding mame.exe, but I have noticed that at least 1 game is missing.  If I search for Virtua Fighter, it doesn’t show up in LaunchBox.  If I load mame manually and run it there, it works fine. Any ideas? 
Virtua Fighter is considered by MAME to be in an unplayable state. During import "Skip games unplayable in MAME" was most likely checked. For games that are mostly playable, but is considered by MAME to not be, you can just drag and drop those ROMs into LaunchBox (or use the ROM importer). Make sure you choose The "Force using MAME metadata", and uncheck the "Skip games unplayable in MAME" filter.

2. My 32x rom collection has the official games, and a folder of hacks. Is there a way I can keep these separate? Having the hacks as a child menu item for 32x?

You can import everything under your Sega 32X platform and create 2 playlists, one for your official games, and one for you hacks. You could also import them as separate platforms, just make sure whatever you call the platform, you make sure your "Scrape As" value is set to Sega 32X. Either way you do it, using the Platform Category filter, you can set up the hierarchy the way you are looking for.

Both LaunchBox and Big Box have controller mappings for exit game, and you can achieve what you are looking to do.

If you mistakenly imported a BIOS file, simply remove it from your library. By default, it will not delete it from your computer, just from your LaunchBox library. Alternatively, in LaunchBox, you can right click the BIOS entry, go into Edit and toggle "Hide"

14 hours ago, faeran said:

Virtua Fighter is considered by MAME to be in an unplayable state. During import "Skip games unplayable in MAME" was most likely checked. For games that are mostly playable, but is considered by MAME to not be, you can just drag and drop those ROMs into LaunchBox (or use the ROM importer). Make sure you choose The "Force using MAME metadata", and uncheck the "Skip games unplayable in MAME" filter.

You can import everything under your Sega 32X platform and create 2 playlists, one for your official games, and one for you hacks. You could also import them as separate platforms, just make sure whatever you call the platform, you make sure your "Scrape As" value is set to Sega 32X. Either way you do it, using the Platform Category filter, you can set up the hierarchy the way you are looking for.

Both LaunchBox and Big Box have controller mappings for exit game, and you can achieve what you are looking to do.

If you mistakenly imported a BIOS file, simply remove it from your library. By default, it will not delete it from your computer, just from your LaunchBox library. Alternatively, in LaunchBox, you can right click the BIOS entry, go into Edit and toggle "Hide"

Thanks very much for the quick reply. 

I’ve just tried the 32x hacks, but I can only seem to get it to appear as an individual System, not under 32x. When importing, I called the system “Sega 32x Hacks”, scraped as Sega 32x, and chose RetroArch as the emulator. It just comes up like the attached. 

I’ve right clicked on it, selected edit, and saw that Scrape as was blank, I’ve set it to Sega 32x, but it hasn’t made a difference. Am I missing something?

9A4B0DA1-6009-4370-A526-550BB5C69E5E.jpeg

2 minutes ago, StuMcBill said:

Thanks very much for the quick reply. 

I’ve just tried the 32x hacks, but I can only seem to get it to appear as an individual System, not under 32x. When importing, I called the system “Sega 32x Hacks”, scraped as Sega 32x, and chose RetroArch as the emulator. It just comes up like the attached. 

I’ve right clicked on it, selected edit, and saw that Scrape as was blank, I’ve set it to Sega 32x, but it hasn’t made a difference. Am I missing something?

9A4B0DA1-6009-4370-A526-550BB5C69E5E.jpeg

Right click Sega 32X Hacks, go into Edit. Click on the Parents tab and place it in any location(s) you like.

Just tried this, no joy. Tried placing in Console and Arcade, just to see if it would work. 

23 minutes ago, faeran said:

Right click Sega 32X Hacks, go into Edit. Click on the Parents tab and place it in any location(s) you like.

Edited by StuMcBill

24 minutes ago, StuMcBill said:

Just tried this, no joy. Tried placing in Console and Arcade, just to see if it would work. 

Can you post a pic of that Parents Tab for the Sega 32X Hacks.

Make sure you do not have check marks in 2 spots. Such as a check for "Root" and a check for "Console".

33 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Can you post a pic of that Parents Tab for the Sega 32X Hacks.

Make sure you do not have check marks in 2 spots. Such as a check for "Root" and a check for "Console".

That was it, I thought you had to have a tick in root to enable it to go in the console folder.

Got my missing mame roms sorted too, just need to track down the no-nag version of mame,😄

Hi, 

Thanks for all the replies, I've got everything working now apart from the controller mapping to exit game, but I'm sure I'll get there.

One further question (and I realise this is a RetroArch question rather than a Launchbox question), but I have RetroArch setup to run both Genesis (Side question: can I force Mega Drive art to download instead of Genesis - I'm in the UK) and SNES.  I've got an 8BitDo M30 (Genesis Style Controller) and an 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ (SNES Style Controller) connected to my PC via bluetooth.

Is there anyway to make it default to M30 when I run a Genesis Game and SN30 when I run a SNES game?  I've tried loading the cores manually and configuring the controller, but I can't get seem to get the mappings to stick, and for it to auto switch when a game is loaded?

Any ideas?