LaunchBox Community Forums

Editing Mame directories with relative pathes.

Fugus

Have my mame setup as:

Launchbox\Games\Mame\Roms
                                               \CHDs
                                               \Samples

Had Launchbox auto install and configure Mame .240 for me. Not sure how to edit the paths so it loads the CHDs and Samples when it loads the games. Do I put it relative to the emulator itself or relative to the roms launchbox will be launching for me. And if I put it relative to the emulator, I think I am doing it wrong.

Edited by Fugus

If you have that setup then your paths in your MAME.ini file would be like this (relative to MAME folder):

rompath                   roms;chds
samplepath                samples

Then can be relative or absolute but relative is typically best unless you have specific reason otherwise.  It is always relative to the MAME folder (where MAME.EXE is located), not LB.

Edit: as long as your MAME.ini is correct MAME figures out when/how to use CHDs and Samples.  You don't have to "load" those in LB.  

Edited by sundogak

Ok, nevermind, it went from giving a missing rom error to actually loading the games.

I retract (and delete) my previous statement.

Using
rompath                   roms;..\..\Games\Mame\roms

And it didn't work till it did....

Edited by Fugus

With the paths you showed initially, this doesn't need to be there only the ROMs entry:

..\..\Games\Mame\roms

Did you use the Tools, Import, MAME Full Arcade Set in LB?  It isn't clear what you are referring to when you say "it" doesn't detect the roms...you talking MAME or LB?  Does MAME work outside LB? 

Edited by sundogak

2 minutes ago, sundogak said:

With the paths you showed initially, this doesn't need to be there only the ROMs entry:

..\..\Games\Mame\roms

Did you use the Tools, Import, MAME Full Arcade Set in LB?  It isn't clear what you are referring to when you say "it" doesn't detect the roms...you talking MAME or LB?  Does MAME work outside LB? 

When I said "It", I was referring to the mame executable.

It works now, it went from saying it couldn't find the games to loading them (CHD's included) without issue. Not sure why it wouldn't detect them before with zero change, but it detects them now. So good enough so long as it sticks.

Okay..good still suggest you get rid of this:  ..\..\Games\Mame\roms

What MAME will interpret is "Come up two directories from the MAME folder, then look for ROMs from that point.  So it would be looking at same level as your LB folder (plus not needed since have ROMS there).  

Just now, sundogak said:

Okay..good still suggest you get rid of this:  ..\..\Games\Mame\roms

What MAME will interpret is "Come up two directories from the MAME folder, then look for ROMs from that point.  So it would be looking at same level as your LB folder (plus not needed since have ROMS there).  

Ah, so do

rompath                   roms;..\..\Games\Mame\chds
hashpath                  hash
samplepath                samples;..\..\Games\Mame\samples
artpath                   artwork

in the mame.ini?

1 minute ago, sundogak said:

no, don't put in that bogus stuff after the semicolon as long as you have:

..\MAME 0.240\CHDS
..\MAME 0.240\ROMs
..\MAME 0.240\SAMPLES

It should be this: 

rompath                   roms;chds
samplepath                samples

But my files aren't there.

Emulator is at:
Launchbox\Emulators\Mame 0.240\Mame.exe

Roms are at
Launchbox\Games\Mame\Roms
                                               \CHDs
                                               \Samples

Wouldn't putting what you have make it look for them in subfolders of the mame emulator itself?

Guess not sure why you have your MAME emulator in different directory as ROMs.  Typical setup for MAME is:

MAME\MAME.EXE
MAME\ROMS
MAME\SAMPLES
MAME\CHDS

But you can do it the way you are doing if you have separated things.  So what I stated above would be incorrect in that case.  Ultimately, MAME will look relative to where the MAME.EXE is located for any relative path in the INI.  So your MAME.INI should set that accordingly if you moved the ROMS somewhere else.  If gets too weird, you can always use a full path as well.  But if works how you have then wouldn't mess with it.  

Thank you for the help. I am one of those who are obsessed with being organized. So I wanted the Mame Executable with the Emulators directory while putting the games themselves in the games directory and separated by type.
It also makes it easier for me to audit them later or find them if I forget exactly where I put them.

I am also the guy who typically separated his roms into subfolders by letter and will still put a folder if there is only 1 rom going in it.

6 hours and it is still downloading media, glad I didn't stay up and wait.

Stand corrected, it booted from the mame.exe with those directories without issue, but won't boot from Launchbox that way. Oh well, back to experimenting.

Really hated to do it and will annoy me thinking about it, but I just put the CHDs in the same directory with the roms and copied the samples to the mame samples folder. But all I can do for now since it doesn't want to honor any changes I make when I go through launchbox.

Edited by Fugus

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Pixelfetish said:

With the same mame.ini file mame works correctly, but not from within Launchbox.

If you have the -rompath command-line parameter in your MAME's Default Commandline Parameters (LaunchBox, Tools, Manage, Emulators, MAME), it will override mame.ini's rompath.  Remove that parameter and its' variable and MAME will use the rompath, as listed in mame.ini.

• Like 1