Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

COMMUNITY Theme Creator for BigBox 2.4 - Progress Update 1


Recommended Posts

  • 5 months later...

Hello @y2guruI just watched 2.5PU5. The program is looking amazing, excellent job!

I think for the release it will be very important to make the wheel spacing human-readable. The way XAML handles item spacing within a wheel is just completely nonsensical. It would be extremely helpful if you were to create a translator that changes visual spacing into XAML spacing. Negative spacing = overlap. Zero spacing = edges touching. Positive spacing = gaps. I'm envisioning this as a slider. The default would start out in the middle at zero. The user could then slide it left or right to change the item spacing to positive or negative values. These values would then be displayed as actual numbers below the slider in a box that can be edited directly for refined adjustments. I think this should be a serious consideration for the release otherwise it'll become one of those tweaks that will drop to the bottom of the pile of things to do and it'll be something that gets attention *someday.

I LOVE the theme manager screen!!! So cool! I definitely agree with your statement at the end of the video that creating the thumbnail from the last edited view would be best. However! It would be great if the user had the choice to choose in the settings to have the thumbnail created from the last edited, Platform View, or heaviest view, or let them choose the view per theme by right clicking the them... Oh wait! There you go - just have them go to the theme editor main page and when you right-click a view, you'll have the option to set that view as the thumbnail, other views will then have that option greyed out until you deselect it. You'd need some sort of visual cue to know which view is set as the thumbnail.

Speaking of the theme manager screen. Maybe you should have it group Windows, Android, and LB themes into sections rather than having to fuss with filters and have all themes in a organized single view?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Knowcontrol said:

Hello @y2guruI just watched 2.5PU5. The program is looking amazing, excellent job!

I think for the release it will be very important to make the wheel spacing human-readable. The way XAML handles item spacing within a wheel is just completely nonsensical. It would be extremely helpful if you were to create a translator that changes visual spacing into XAML spacing. Negative spacing = overlap. Zero spacing = edges touching. Positive spacing = gaps. I'm envisioning this as a slider. The default would start out in the middle at zero. The user could then slide it left or right to change the item spacing to positive or negative values. These values would then be displayed as actual numbers below the slider in a box that can be edited directly for refined adjustments. I think this should be a serious consideration for the release otherwise it'll become one of those tweaks that will drop to the bottom of the pile of things to do and it'll be something that gets attention *someday.

I LOVE the theme manager screen!!! So cool! I definitely agree with your statement at the end of the video that creating the thumbnail from the last edited view would be best. However! It would be great if the user had the choice to choose in the settings to have the thumbnail created from the last edited, Platform View, or heaviest view, or let them choose the view per theme by right clicking the them... Oh wait! There you go - just have them go to the theme editor main page and when you right-click a view, you'll have the option to set that view as the thumbnail, other views will then have that option greyed out until you deselect it. You'd need some sort of visual cue to know which view is set as the thumbnail.

Speaking of the theme manager screen. Maybe you should have it group Windows, Android, and LB themes into sections rather than having to fuss with filters and have all themes in a organized single view?

All great feedback !! i do agree with you regarding properties such as item spacing etc.. but in my defense whilst developing the code i simply wanted to make the properties available so that i can test the code generation, but with most things its a very iterative process and I do go back and clean things up.... and you know me, I love my sliders!

I love the Theme Manager too! this was never in the roadmap but i hated how the dropdown response/glitch resulted in a random theme being selected so something had to be done.  Just as above its iterative, I created a video literally 10 minutes after i got the thumbnail generator fully working which was not a 5 minute job.

yes, the themes will be separated into their respective sections, i just wanted to get the basic mechanics down, but i still might add filters.

i will be providing the ability to tag a view so that it will be used primarily for thumbs.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Knowcontrol said:

Hello @y2guruI just watched 2.5PU5. The program is looking amazing, excellent job!

I think for the release it will be very important to make the wheel spacing human-readable. The way XAML handles item spacing within a wheel is just completely nonsensical. It would be extremely helpful if you were to create a translator that changes visual spacing into XAML spacing. Negative spacing = overlap. Zero spacing = edges touching. Positive spacing = gaps. I'm envisioning this as a slider. The default would start out in the middle at zero. The user could then slide it left or right to change the item spacing to positive or negative values. These values would then be displayed as actual numbers below the slider in a box that can be edited directly for refined adjustments. I think this should be a serious consideration for the release otherwise it'll become one of those tweaks that will drop to the bottom of the pile of things to do and it'll be something that gets attention *someday.

I LOVE the theme manager screen!!! So cool! I definitely agree with your statement at the end of the video that creating the thumbnail from the last edited view would be best. However! It would be great if the user had the choice to choose in the settings to have the thumbnail created from the last edited, Platform View, or heaviest view, or let them choose the view per theme by right clicking the them... Oh wait! There you go - just have them go to the theme editor main page and when you right-click a view, you'll have the option to set that view as the thumbnail, other views will then have that option greyed out until you deselect it. You'd need some sort of visual cue to know which view is set as the thumbnail.

Speaking of the theme manager screen. Maybe you should have it group Windows, Android, and LB themes into sections rather than having to fuss with filters and have all themes in a organized single view?

Sections!

image.thumb.png.042e1be2e08dfd037b709d6843823204.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, y2guru said:

but in my defense whilst developing the code i simply wanted to make the properties available so that i can test the code generation

Sorry, I know my post came out critical, it wasn't meant to be. You have a good design process, keep up the great work.

Nice screenshot, yup, exactly what I was thinking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Knowcontrol said:

Sorry, I know my post came out critical, it wasn't meant to be. You have a good design process, keep up the great work.

Nice screenshot, yup, exactly what I was thinking.

It didn’t come across as being critical at all 😁 it was great feedback and proved you watched the latest update.   I’m my own worst critic!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...