LaunchBox Community Forums

Game Controller for MAME within LaunchBox

Huskerfan

I am unable to get my controllers to be active within Launchbox.  I saw that you need to edit the controllers in the emulator itself.  I am using MAME (0240) and have launchbox set up with only that emulator.  I have tried to manually edit by pressing the TAB button on my keyboard as the game loads.  I've modified the different settings with multiple controllers w/o success.  I am probably missing something basic.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  I will continue to look on the site for other NOOB assistance.

Thanks

Thank you for the tip!  I configured my 8bitdo m30 via the 'tab' command while in Launchbox/MAME.  I exited the game and then launchbox a few times and I still didn't register any action with the joypad while in the game.  I was starting with either Donkey Kong or 1943 as I thought those were straight-forward games.  In 1943, the joypad was able to go up/down on the menu before the game launched and then I couldn't get the game to load.  With respect to DK, no response from the stick.  I have seen my Xbox gamebar pop up, but haven't figured out how to disable that (it wouldn't let me uninstall it).  Any other suggestions are welcome.  THANKS!

15 minutes ago, Huskerfan said:

Thank you for the tip!  I configured my 8bitdo m30 via the 'tab' command while in Launchbox/MAME.  I exited the game and then launchbox a few times and I still didn't register any action with the joypad while in the game.  I was starting with either Donkey Kong or 1943 as I thought those were straight-forward games.  In 1943, the joypad was able to go up/down on the menu before the game launched and then I couldn't get the game to load.  With respect to DK, no response from the stick.  I have seen my Xbox gamebar pop up, but haven't figured out how to disable that (it wouldn't let me uninstall it).  Any other suggestions are welcome.  THANKS!

Have you set a button to add a coin? You cant do anything in game if you have no credits.

• Like 1

Okay, I tried a 4th controller and this seemed to help.  It is a Exlene usb wired controller and I am now able to get some controls in on MAME games.  Thanks for being patient with me asking silly questions!  Once I got this wired controller in, I was able to mess with the .cfg file in the mame emulator directory and then use the tab feature while in game...now to get them configured correctly and enjoy the games!