LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox can't see external storage on android 12

marcoabm

Hi!
I'm using LaunchBox on my Raspberry Pi 4 with Android 12 (LineageOS), and it's working very well, I installed and licensed LaunchBox, copied several roms to a flash drive, but when importing the games to the frontend, it only sees the internal memory of android, does not give any option to access the usb pendrive.
File managers access external storage with no problems.. has anyone experienced this? is it a known issue with that version of launchbox?

Some details of my setup:
- Raspberry Pi 4, 4GB ram;
- LineageOS 19.0 (android 12) from Konstakang;
- Android installed on the memory card;
- Game files on a USB3 flash drive;

OBS: I formatted the flash drive that was in ExFat on android to see if it could see, but nothing changed.

• 5 months later...
On 2/14/2022 at 2:42 PM, Jason Carr said:

@marcoabm Please try the latest beta. You can update to the betas by checking the box to update to betas in Options. The latest beta should solve this issue.

I've updated to the latest beta but I'm still having this problem. I'm using anS22 ultra with a USB media hub and a USB flash drive. My file manager can see the files but the drive isn't visible in the Import setup of launchbox.

6 minutes ago, Chochi23 said:

I've updated to the latest beta but I'm still having this problem. I'm using anS22 ultra with a USB media hub and a USB flash drive. My file manager can see the files but the drive isn't visible in the Import setup of launchbox.

The issue is definitely specific to using an external hub and/or flash drive for the storage. I'll see if there's anything I can do to support it, but unfortunately Android has been a complete failure in that regard recently, so I may or may not be able to support it properly.

• 3 weeks later...

Just spent 2 hours attempting to get USB devices working, but unfortunately I did not have success. Google has screwed the pooch once again and at this point I'm not convinced that it's possible to launch ROMs in an emulator from a frontend over a USB device on Android 11 and 12. More details are posted here:

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 9/22/2022 at 12:13 PM, GrandMasterLynx said:

The way I fixed this on my Shield TV Pro is I side loaded RA & LB and now I can load games from my External Hard Drive again 

Can you elaborate on how this was done (via sideloaded) not sure what you mean how you did this?

Since the last Launchbox for Android.  My Launchbox crashes without an error message when I select a PC game.  There is an approximately 5 to 10 second delay until it crashes.  It was working prior to the update.  My tablet is a Galaxy Tab A and Launchbox is loaded on the 512 gb SD card.  Any suggestions on why it isn't working now when it was before the update?  Since internal memory is limited, not being able to use the SD card is a deal breaker.

On 5/27/2023 at 9:29 PM, Ancient Gamer said:

Since the last Launchbox for Android.  My Launchbox crashes without an error message when I select a PC game.  There is an approximately 5 to 10 second delay until it crashes.  It was working prior to the update.  My tablet is a Galaxy Tab A and Launchbox is loaded on the 512 gb SD card.  Any suggestions on why it isn't working now when it was before the update?  Since internal memory is limited, not being able to use the SD card is a deal breaker.

That's definitely a strange one. Not really sure why the update would cause issues like that as not really much was touched that could have affected this.

One thing you can try is downgrade to the previous update and see if it works better for you. If it does, then it could point to something in the update, if it still doesn't, it could point to something external that happened (like an OS update). You potentially have the previous apk file inside of your LaunchBox\Updates folder.

My mistake, I only got it to work on LaunchBox by executing the Android version of RetroArch (installed on internal memory with a change to let it access SD card memory) as an Android app in LaunchBox, which ran without crashing.  From RetroArch, I could execute the PC game.  The recent update was not responsible for the crashing problem but did not correct it either.  LaunchBox is stable until I select a PC program directly (without running RetroArch) and then, after a short time, LaunchBox will crash without an error warning.  I have seen it happen when LaunchBox seemed to be running the program and has just asked for an emulator, but there is never time to enter one before the crash.  This has been the problem since I purchased LaunchBox for Android several versions ago and has not been fixed.  What is strange is that LaunchBox does not crash immediately but there is a delay of several seconds before it happens.  Since internal device memory is so limited on most Android devices, not being able to run PC programs from the SD card, even though LaunchBox is installed there, is not acceptable.