LaunchBox Community Forums

My best ever Galaga high score! (A nostalgic cabinet story)

Knowcontrol

A few days ago I was vacationing in Pigeon Forge, TN and took my 7 year old son to the Big Top Arcade. In the back of the room stood a single retro cabinet (I'm retro too, I grew up in the 80s) with the combo Galaga and Ms. Pac-Man. I was elated to see that they kept a single play at a quarter as most of the games in the arcade were $1.50 or more per play!

I swiped the card once and selected the Galaga Player One button. This began my journey to my best EVER high score in Galaga on a SINGLE quarter!! No cheats, no auto fire/rapid fire, no additional quarters. I made it to level 21 with a score of 143,160. That may not be very impressive but I've never managed that in the past 45 years.

Anyways, it felt very much like Ready Player One (the book) where he finds the hidden arcade - where I found the single relic hidden in this glitzy, noisy, loud, and obnoxious modern take on the arcades that made us.

PXL_20220401_172603585.thumb.jpg.fa445f61a239831962044276603eef56.jpg

P.S.
If you ever visit Petoskey, Michigan, there is a retro arcade in the basement of a coin shop, it's called: Out of This World Arcade and Game.

It's owned by this 28 year old who got into retro gaming on his dad's SNES. He has since acquired, rebuilt, and revived over 30 cabinets!!! His place is AMAZING! The best part is - he's kept each play at a quarter!! It feels like finding a arcade speakeasy and he's got a very authentic 80s arcade vibe to it all (I truly felt like I had been transported back in time and I was a kid again). My son and I spent $20 and over two and a half hours there, it will be one of my best memories with him.

Edited by Knowcontrol
  • Like 3
  • Game On 1

• Knowcontrol changed the title to My best ever Galaga high score! (A nostalgic cabinet story)

If you're back in that area there is an arcade in Gatlinburg that has more retro machines and even a few pinball tables. Last time we were there talked with the owner a bit and he was surprised how much my son enjoyed the old pinball tables since most kids his age just liked the flashy newer games. Gave us a few free plays on them as appreciation.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

If you're back in that area there is an arcade in Gatlinburg that has more retro machines and even a few pinball tables.

Looks like you are referring to Red Rocket Retro Arcade? Looks like a fun place, thanks for the suggestion. I live in Michigan but will keep that in mind.

edit: Gatlinburg is quite the spectacle and should be experienced by all.

Edited by Knowcontrol