LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox - Duckstation - Overwrites pre-existing saves

TimmyT

Hello everyone,

yesterday I configured the standalone emulator Duckstation and was quite satisfied because everything worked properly when I used it without Launchbox.

However, when I start up my imported PSX roms via Launchbox the emulator loads the games BUT overwrites pre-existing savegames everytime basically killing any progress made within the games. I tried this with the nogui and qt .exe of Duckstation.

For some reason this only happens when Duckstation gets started via Launchbox. It doesn't seem to check if there's already a save file and creates a new one, overwriting the previous save file whenever I load the game via Launchbox.

When I start the games directly with Duckstation outside Launchbox, everything is working fine. It's loading the already existing save files.

I configured Duckstation to save and load my save files from "C:\Users\Tim\LaunchBox\Emulators\Playstation 1\memcards" which is a subfolder I created under the installation path of Duckstation.

Has anyone experienced similar problems when using the Duckstation standalone emulator in conjunction with Launchbox?

Regards

Edited by TimmyT

48 minutes ago, TimmyT said:

Hello everyone,

yesterday I configured the standalone emulator Duckstation and was quite satisfied because everything worked properly when I used it without Launchbox.

However, when I start up my imported PSX roms via Launchbox the emulator loads the games BUT overwrites pre-existing savegames everytime basically killing any progress made within the games. I tried this with the nogui and qt .exe of Duckstation.

For some reason this only happens when Duckstation gets started via Launchbox. It doesn't seem to check if there's already a save file and creates a new one, overwriting the previous save file whenever I load the game via Launchbox.

When I start the games directly with Duckstation outside Launchbox, everything is working fine. It's loading the already existing save files.

I configured Duckstation to save and load my save files from "C:\Users\Tim\LaunchBox\Emulators\Playstation 1\memcards" which is a subfolder I created under the installation path of Duckstation.

Has anyone experienced similar problems when using the Duckstation standalone emulator in conjunction with Launchbox?

Regards

OK, a few corrections here, Launchbox is not overwriting or creating saves, nor does it check for saves either. That is all handled by the emulator itself, Launchbox is simply not able to do what you are suggesting here. The only way it MAY be possible is if there is a command line argument to create a save at launch, and you manually added that command to Launchbox, which I would imagine you have not done. Launchbox is simply a launcher it starts the emulator, gives it a path to a rom and says load this, that is literally all it does, and settings like controls, graphics settings, saves are handled exclusively by the emulator you choose to use.

So i would dig around in the options and maybe google if there are any bugs in Duckstation when launching via the commandline, which is what Launchbox is doing, i have seen issues like that in the past, Dolphin specifically had a issue that when loading a game from the command line the controller would not work, but it was fine when starting Dolphin by itself, so bugs like that can occur.

• Thanks 1

Are you using any AHK scripts to close DuckStation?

If you are depending on the code that could be the issue. DuckStation I believe by default has the option ticked for "Save State on Exit". If your AHK script has code for "Process, Close" in it that is not allowing DuckStation to close properly and therefore not actually saving the game Save State.

If you are not using any AHK then disregard and it could be as Neil stated.

• Thanks 1