LaunchBox Community Forums

Animated GBA bezel experiment

gibbawho

I was messing around with RetroArch's overlay system and made this cool little animated bezel for gba. The buttons visually "press" on the screen when you hit your controller buttons. You can also click the overlay buttons to control your game, which I assume means you could potentially use it as touch controls on a mobile device but I don't know why you'd want to. Enjoy!

original gba photo by hydef

Download here: https://mega.nz/file/8ssVzIgR#J8xo28OP_JMAYfBWcHHL3k2PQfbu7gX_fhPMBV7uKb4

gba-bezel.thumb.jpg.71a64da64af119504650237da5852699.jpg

ADDED:
Replace the background.png in the package with this one if you don't want the shine across the screen:
background.thumb.png.e002e32f08fa0b2e60e7ec64bb43f113.png

Edited by gibbawho
attributing credit
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Retro808 said:

His bezels are for use in Retroarch.

his retroarch bezels have turning handlebars?
i don't see the ones in the video turning. the bezel in that video is for mame, anyway.  with my understanding of retroarch's overlay system (which very well may be lacking, so i'd love to know how, if so) that wouldn't really be possible except maybe some gif trickery. that can totally be done in mame bezels, though. i want to find whichever ones you're talking about and dig into them to learn if its true.

Edited by gibbawho

Yeah i downloaded his set and checked them out. his bezels are all mame bezels. while you can use them in retroarch in the sense that you can use any mame feature in retroarch, they aren't actually using the retroarch overlay system and can only be used when a mame core is loaded. They are awesome. I wish retroarch's overlay system could do such things. i'd have a ball making bezels. I just don't have much interest in making mame bezels or i'd be doing it already.

Edited by gibbawho

5 hours ago, gibbawho said:

Yeah i downloaded his set and checked them out. his bezels are all mame bezels. while you can use them in retroarch in the sense that you can use any mame feature in retroarch, they aren't actually using the retroarch overlay system and can only be used when a mame core is loaded. They are awesome. I wish retroarch's overlay system could do such things. i'd have a ball making bezels. I just don't have much interest in making mame bezels or i'd be doing it already.

Ah, you are correct. I did not really look at the files of the Paperboy animated one to notice it had a lay file meaning normal Mame style overlay.

With that animated GBA you made you could also make several colors of the GBA then set a hotkey to switch the overlay in game. Then you would be able to select a different color systems during game play.

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Sorry, didn't see this until now. But ofcourse. Gladly. For now, this post is edited to reflect.
Want me to package a text file with it or something? Or would editing the post on youtube suffice? Whatever works for you.

4 minutes ago, gibbawho said:

Sorry, didn't see this until now. But ofcourse. Gladly. For now, this post is edited to reflect.
Want me to package a text file with it or something? Or would editing the post on youtube suffice? Whatever works for you.

Nah, just what you've done in the first post is great, thanks!