LaunchBox Community Forums

Help with BB and Touch Screen PC

The Papaw

I got a project going on and not sure if I should ask here or in the general threads. (I asked in CTC thread and Dave said it was more of a control issue)

I am doing a home remodel project. I got the brainy idea to build a retro (digital) touch screen jukebox in a false wall I will be building. I started out with a Raspberry Pi, but I wound up getting a really nice 22" All In One PC. Then I got even brainier and thought it might be cool to add some slot machines that work with touch screens. I found a few of the old IGT games (old Windows) that work well.

And of course I installed LB/BB on it to run the slot games and thought I needed to create a cool theme for BB to kinda match everything else. It looks and runs great. Got BB working well with the touch screen and all (enabled mouse in the BB config)

Here is my problem and I'm really hope ANYONE, can tell me how I might be able to do it:

I have NO way to exit BB without plugging in a keyboard to hit <ESC>

Is there any way I can add something to the theme I created in CTC, that when touched (would be like a mouse click), would exit BB. I thought about maybe adding something like a fake game that runs a AHK or bat file or something, but don't know how I could do it without it being on the wheels.

Any ideas or suggestions?

16 hours ago, The Papaw said:

I have NO way to exit BB without plugging in a keyboard to hit <ESC>

After you enter a Platform to view its games, how do you go Back to viewing the Platforms via the touchscreen?  If you go Back from within the Platforms view, that should put you in the Option menu which includes Exit and also Shutdown.  

6 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

After you enter a Platform to view its games, how do you go Back to viewing the Platforms via the touchscreen?  If you go Back from within the Platforms view, that should put you in the Option menu which includes Exit and also Shutdown.  

I can't, that's the issue, no <ESC>, that's why I was asking how I might incorporate it in a theme. @Johnny T made a suggestion about a gesture software that might work, but not had a chance to install and look into it yet. 

Edited by The Papaw

On 6/4/2022 at 6:12 AM, The Papaw said:

I can't, that's the issue, no <ESC>, that's why I was asking how I might incorporate it in a theme. @Johnny T made a suggestion about a gesture software that might work, but not had a chance to install and look into it yet. 

Ok. I guess I got confused when you said you had BB working well with the touchscreen and that exiting it was the issue.  I think I understand now that it's not having a Back key/button (aka Esc key) to press, that's the issue.

For kicks and grins, I put a copy of LB/BB on my laptop that has a touchscreen. Started BB, made the 'mouse' active in Options. Got back to the main Platforms screen.  Wow! Using the touchscreen for BigBox is a lot cooler that I thought it would be!! lol

Anyway, I went into the Arcade Platform, scrolled up and down the games. Then, on a hunch, I did a long-press [somewhere not over a control] on the screen and BAM!  There I was at the main Platforms listing again.  Did another long-press and got to the System View.  Dragged my finger down till Exit appeared and tap-tapped it.  BigBox exited.

I'm curious if that works for you too.  Or if I just got stupid lucky on my laptop and your back to trying gestures. 😊