LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android not saving metadata on exit

Admittedly I am quite a noob when it comes to LaunchBox on Android. I installed LaunchBox on my phone, a Samsung S10 with LineageOS 19.1 (Android 12, custom rom). Right now I only have Android games on my phone. But when I edit a game and download metadata from the LaunchBoxDB, the changes are not being saved after exiting LaunchBox. I installed LaunchBox in /storage/emulated/0/ (default location) and have given LaunchBox all permissions it asks for (access files and media, www.launchbox-app.com and install unknown apps). I'm on the latest beta (1.3 beta 3) but still no metadata is being saved. Any suggestions?

Edited by Your Friendly A.I Overlord

On 6/11/2022 at 8:22 PM, Your Friendly A.I Overlord said:

Admittedly I am quite a noob when it comes to LaunchBox on Android. I installed LaunchBox on my phone, a Samsung S10 with LineageOS 19.1 (Android 12). Right now I only have Android games on my phone. But when I edit a game and download metadata from the LaunchBoxDB, the changes are not being saved after exiting LaunchBox. I installed LaunchBox in /storage/emulated/0/ and have given LaunchBox all permissions it asks for (access files and media, www.launchbox-app.com and install from unknown sources). I'm on the latest beta (1.3 beta 3) but still no metadata is being saved. Any suggestions?

I've never been able to replicate any issues similar to this, which is especially strange because I do most of my testing on my own Samsung Galaxy S10+. Now I see the fact that you're using LineageOS, though; perhaps that could be the issue? All I can figure is that there's something weird going on between the app and that version of Android. We'd probably need to be able to test and debug against a similar device running LineageOS in order to resolve the issue, which obviously isn't going to be easy. One thing you can do though is provide log files for us on the off chance that it might help us to discover what the issue is.

1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

Are you referring to the metadata for your Android apps that have been imported or for something else?

Yes. the Android apps. I installed LaunchBox for Android two days ago. Upon first launch it added my installed Android games. I searched the LaunchBox Games Database for metadata and the metadata was filled in. But after exiting and reopening LaunchBox the previously downloaded metadata was gone. I redownloaded the metadata but right after that I selected "Download all missing media". After that the metadata was also gone.

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Now I see the fact that you're using LineageOS, though; perhaps that could be the issue?

Sure it can. You know when you install a custom Android OS you can ran into trouble. But getting rid of all the bloatware is worth it. (Actually, for me LineageOS is quite stable.)

We'd probably need to be able to test and debug against a similar device running LineageOS in order to resolve the issue, which obviously isn't going to be easy.

I very much appreciate that. Thank you! But take your time.

One thing you can do though is provide log files for us on the off chance that it might help us to discover what the issue is.

Here you go.

Debug 2022-06-13 06-03-30 PM.log

Debug 2022-06-13 06-05-15 PM.log

3 minutes ago, Your Friendly A.I Overlord said:

Yes. the Android apps

As of right now in LaunchBox for Android the Android platform is re-scraped from the data we get from the app/device on startup and overwrites any changes you make to those items. Not sure where on the priority list it is to modify that behavior but Jason is aware of it happening.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Yeah, I missed the point about it being Android apps in the original post. That is on my list to fix. Sorry for the run-around.

No worries! As installing LaunchBox for Android is a tryout, I initially only tested with my Android apps as I have not yet added any emulators. So I gather that the metadata not being saved isn't an issue for emulation. Then I will give that a try in the coming days. But thank you for your time!

2 minutes ago, Your Friendly A.I Overlord said:

No worries! As installing LaunchBox for Android is a tryout, I initially only tested with my Android apps as I have not yet added any emulators. So I gather that the metadata not being saved isn't an issue for emulation. Then I will give that a try in the coming days. But thank you for your time!

With you using the custom OS I'd definitely try a smaller subset of ROMs using the free version to make sure it plays nice with LineageOS before purchasing a license, but yeah the metadata for ROMs isn't affected by this logic so if the app runs it should act correctly (assuming the file system calls aren't affected at all by your OS). Good system to try is Sega 32X since it doesn't really have many games at all you can import the whole system and still be under the 100 item threshold.

• Like 1