LaunchBox Community Forums

how do you set retroarch to "set the RDRAM to 8MB"

jerryb

Ive gotten the mario64 Odyssey rom hack (2 different ones actually)  but the one set in the Odessey world crawls along.  Too slow to play. in the video advertising it on youtube it says in Project64 to set the RDRAM to 8MB but all my games are set to retroarch and seem to work fine, except this one that crawls. They say its something to do with it emulating the expansion pack..? maybe? I don't think its my computer that is the issue. I9 11th gen 16 gb and a 3060ti. I would think I should be able to play it. DO any of you have an idea of what I can do, or do I just need to try to set up project64?

Update: it does run at a normal pace on Project 64 3.01 but I don't like the controls, which I know can be changed and I'd prefer to just use retroarch.  Thanks for any help

Edited by jerryb
updated info

Use Mupen64Plus Next and the GLideN64 plugin, the other plugins (Parallel or Angrylion) might not be able to reach 60fps (they were around 40 in my gaming PC).

EDIT: Also, in the core options, make sure you have threaded rendering turned on and VI Refresh set to 2200.

Edited by Suhrvivor

1st .. Thanks for the reply.. 2nd I tried downloading that mupen, but it didn't want to install to launchbox for me, so I tried running it just directly thru it and it crawled also. So I messed with project 64 some more, its not truely full screen (it keeps the 4:3 ratio) but it runs smoothly thru it. so I'll just play it that way. Thanks again for the response

Edited by jerryb

39 minutes ago, jerryb said:

2nd I tried downloading that mupen, but it didn't want to install to launchbox for me, so I tried running it just directly thru it and it crawled also. 

Not sure exactly what you're trying here.

Easiest approach is run this core through Retroarch. This should install without issue and doesn't have anything to do with LaunchBox. (This mod runs perfectly fine with it)

22 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

Not sure exactly what you're trying here.

Easiest approach is run this core through Retroarch. This should install without issue and doesn't have anything to do with LaunchBox. (This mod runs perfectly fine with it)

I downloaded mupen64 from its website. extracted its files into a subdirectory I mad for it under emulators, then started launchbox and told it I wanted to add an emulator, I picked it but it was looking for a file that doesn't seem to exist with it, so I tried using the only .exe file that was there. It wouldn't run at all. so Out of launchbox but back in windows I ran the mupen64gui and it started and I picked the rom, but it ran terrible and unplayable. So I just went back and fiddled with project64 some more and other than the screen size it runs great. I can go mess with the size more, but I haven't yet.   image.thumb.png.ecf75f7e9bdf9a1eeb3e1371dd094396.png

I think that version is quite dated and it looks like no commits since 2019.

I would try the Retroarch mupen64plus core that is constantly updated or even try m64p emulator if you dislike Retroarch.

PS: To each his own, but I never cared for Project64. I used it in the past for some mods and it seemed OK, until you saw it running with an accurate 64 emulator and noticed thing that were missing or not right.

Edited by Headrush69

13 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

I think that version is quite dated and it looks like no commits since 2019.

I would try the Retroarch mupen64plus core that is constantly updated or even try m64p emulator if you dislike Retroarch.

PS: To each his own, but I never cared for Project64. I used it in the past for some mods and it seemed OK, until you saw it running with an accurate 64 emulator and noticed thing that were missing or not right.

Im only using it for this one rom. everything else I have seems to run fine thru retroarch. but that mupen was downloaded directly from the mupen64 site last week, and I tried it and had already tried retroarch, and both have severe lag and ran super slow and unplayable.  After a few tweaks project 64 run the mario odessey from kazze(I can't spell) perfectly. the other Mario Odessey 64 mod I found that gives you that hat but in regular mario 64 world, runs great with retro arch. Whatever the reason is, its all good now, I just have it switch emulator for that one game.. Thanks for your time, I just wish I could find(if there are any) a way to adjust the settings for retroarch so it would run it playable