LaunchBox Community Forums

PLEASE.....need help setting up themes!

Hello everyone and fellow users. I really need some help setting up themes on both Launchbox and BIGBOX. Can someone help me or point in the right direction of what features or options to activate to get the wheel to show in my themes! And also how do i get the game art and video clips to show?! or where do i get them from and where do i install if thats how you get them to work. Please im just trying to understand, and im new to Launchbox and Bigbox and not sure how to get my theme setup. Any help would be much appreciated! Im a disabled military veteran and just want to play some games in my offtime. Thanks again!

you can download themes within big box and launchbox. somewhere there is a option to find.

artwork and videos can get from emu movies. if you use a premium access, you can download it from the launchbox media downloader. Launchbox also has artwork you can download within the same downloader. 

per game: go into the detail screen (ctrl+e) then media and there is a download button.

25 minutes ago, Chris Kant said:

you can download themes within big box and launchbox. somewhere there is a option to find.

artwork and videos can get from emu movies. if you use a premium access, you can download it from the launchbox media downloader. Launchbox also has artwork you can download within the same downloader. 

per game: go into the detail screen (ctrl+e) then media and there is a download button.

FIRST OFF....just would like to thank you for taking the time to respond, i really appreciate it. I am aware of how to download themes....i already have a few i downloaded from the forums. I also know about EMU, it always gives you the option to sign up when uploading games, are you saying that and downloading them from launchbox is the only way to get the artwork and game clips? I would of thought the artwork is already provided when you install a theme....no?  I know you can download the game data like the artwork and game clips right from the media tab when you select a game, my problem is how do you set up the artwork on the THEME itself? where do i go on the theme to access that option, and also how do i activate the wheel option for my theme and platform?! ....does that make sense? Thank you again for your help!

32 minutes ago, iirishguyi said:

FIRST OFF....just would like to thank you for taking the time to respond, i really appreciate it. I am aware of how to download themes....i already have a few i downloaded from the forums. I also know about EMU, it always gives you the option to sign up when uploading games, are you saying that and downloading them from launchbox is the only way to get the artwork and game clips? I would of thought the artwork is already provided when you install a theme....no?

Themes do not typically contain the game and platform artwork. Such as game play videos, box art images, and so on. Those are downloaded when you import games or you can copy over any artwork you may have downloaded from our forum or anywhere else. Themes simply display that artwork in a nice graphical layout. Some themes may come with some artwork, but most likely 90% of what you need for almost all themes you would download during import of your games.

So when you import a game as you get to the media pages in the import wizard that is where you want to be to get the images you need that themes will use.

I know you can download the game data like the artwork and game clips right from the media tab when you select a game, my problem is how do you set up the artwork on the THEME itself? where do i go on the theme to access that option, and also how do i activate the wheel option for my theme and platform?! ....does that make sense? Thank you again for your help!

You do not set up the artwork. That is the purpose of the theme. It sets up how the artwork you downloaded is displayed. Once you download images during rom import and then download a theme the theme will take care of the rest. There may be some tweaks you need here or there, but overwhelmingly you will not need to set anything up.

also how do i activate the wheel option for my theme and platform?! ....does that make sense? Thank you again for your help!

You just need to select a view in the theme that uses the wheel. All themes are designed with several view styles. Vertical Wheel, Horizontal Wheel, Text Only List, Wall View. It just depends on what the theme creator chose to design views for. The easiest way to change views to get to one you want is to go into BB settings to the keyboard or controller mapping section and bind a key or button for the option to "Change View". Then when you back out of the settings page and go into the actual theme (where you can see the games) hit the button you bound and it will change the theme's views real time.

• Like 1

You can Cyclops through the different views of a Theme. Setup a Button for this in BigBox an Go through. Most of the bb Themes Should have a clear Logo Wheel view. 

in LB is no Wheel view. 

you can also Download and Place the Artwork by yourself. LB /BB Does Not have such media Files in the Installation. 

39 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Themes do not typically contain the game and platform artwork. Such as game play videos, box art images, and so on. Those are downloaded when you import games or you can copy over any artwork you may have downloaded from our forum or anywhere else. Themes simply display that artwork in a nice graphical layout. Some themes may come with some artwork, but most likely 90% of what you need for almost all themes you would download during import of your games.

So when you import a game as you get to the media pages in the import wizard that is where you want to be to get the images you need that themes will use.

You do not set up the artwork. That is the purpose of the theme. It sets up how the artwork you downloaded is displayed. Once you download images during rom import and then download a theme the theme will take care of the rest. There may be some tweaks you need here or there, but overwhelmingly you will not need to set anything up.

You just need to select a view in the theme that uses the wheel. All themes are designed with several view styles. Vertical Wheel, Horizontal Wheel, Text Only List, Wall View. It just depends on what the theme creator chose to design views for. The easiest way to change views to get to one you want is to go into BB settings to the keyboard or controller mapping section and bind a key or button for the option to "Change View". Then when you back out of the settings page and go into the actual theme (where you can see the games) hit the button you bound and it will change the theme's views real time.

YESSS! THANK YOU!  It's starting to look much better now, I can finally see a working wheel, however the logos for the games are not shown....in other words it's just telling you what game it is, it's basically a list on a wheel....if that makes sense. And in some views there are some box art but there is still no background game art or game clips showing the game....is that somewhere in the same category of options as well? Can you point where to look for that if you could? I am seeing the game art in the wall view, so thank you for that. I can't believe the only way to make it work is by setting up a button on your controller, I had to set it up on the keyboard because that's too many controls to keep track of

54 minutes ago, Chris Kant said:

You can Cyclops through the different views of a Theme. Setup a Button for this in BigBox an Go through. Most of the bb Themes Should have a clear Logo Wheel view. 

in LB is no Wheel view. 

you can also Download and Place the Artwork by yourself. LB /BB Does Not have such media Files in the Installation. 

So there's no way around changing the clear logo? Or is that something I have to download? Like more game art in the media tab, I think I did that I'm just trying to figure out how to access it for the wheel.....?

18 minutes ago, iirishguyi said:

See how there is no artwork for the systems that are selected? Is there a way to change that...I mean is that option also in the same settings category? 

1659306318580849036561673925791.jpg

Fullscreen videos go there, you can download them in Launchbox via Tools/Downloads/Platform/Playlist videos.

15 minutes ago, iirishguyi said:

Also see how there are no game title logos or even game clips? Can I also change that in the same options you mentioned? Would you mind telling me which ones to look for....thank you for everything!

16593065569312573448815985406703.jpg

Those are called Clear Logos and are a option in the import wizards media download section, videos are not provided by Launchbox, they come from emumovies and need there paid subscription in order to download from the same window during import.

You can get the media wizard open by clicking a game in a platform and doing CTRL-A on your keyboard to highlight all games in the platform, then head to Tools/Download/Metadata/images and specifying the image types you want.

Edited by neil9000

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Fullscreen videos go there, you can download them in Launchbox via Tools/Downloads/Platform/Playlist videos.

Those are called Clear Logos and are a option in the import wizards media download section, videos are not provided by Launchbox, they come from emumovies and need there paid subscription in order to download from the same window during import.

You can get the media wizard open by clicking a game in a platform and doing CTRL-A on your keyboard to highlight all games in the platform, then head to Tools/Download/Metadata/images and specifying the image types you want.

Okay yes I should of known that, I knew what clear logos were lol. So is there a way to change that view instead of the clear logos showing and instead a more detailed game title for each game? Does that make sense?

17 minutes ago, iirishguyi said:

Okay yes I should of known that, I knew what clear logos were lol. So is there a way to change that view instead of the clear logos showing and instead a more detailed game title for each game? Does that make sense?

Wheels views will only use image files for the game/platform names. It will either use a Clear Logo image or a Text Image if you did not download actual clear logos. To be clear what you are seeing in the image posted is not actually text it is an image of text. You cannot change the text in that view you are seeing since it is in fact an image file. 

The reason I clarified the Text image piece is there is an actual Text List View for games and platforms that uses actual fonts (text) for game names. That view you can alter the font style, size color, other text elements, but this is only done by editing the code of the theme behind the scenes.

21 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Wheels views will only use image files for the game/platform names. It will either use a Clear Logo image or a Text Image if you did not download actual clear logos. To be clear what you are seeing in the image posted is not actually text it is an image of text. You cannot change the text in that view you are seeing since it is in fact an image file. 

The reason I clarified the Text image piece is there is an actual Text List View for games and platforms that uses actual fonts (text) for game names. That view you can alter the font style, size color, other text elements, but this is only done by editing the code of the theme behind the scenes.

Yes i understand its just a text image and not an actual text of listed games, I should of been clear about that sorry lol that's what I meant. But I know you can change the image of the different logos for the game titles....yes? And what I mean by that is there should be other images available for download for the games....correct? I mean you can see it in previews of the different themes that are created from users and available for install. So can those also be downloaded in Launchbox when downloading media for the games? I hope I'm not wearing you out with all the questions lol, I can't thank you enough for helping me get this set up....my nieces are gonna love it 😜

27 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

It's looking so much better now.....THANKS TO YOU! And i think another user commented...so thank you to you all. All I need now is some game clips to show how the game looks when it's played! Still working on that lol

16593151310753008497938732610662.jpg

22 minutes ago, iirishguyi said:

And what I mean by that is there should be other images available for download for the games....correct? I mean you can see it in previews of the different themes that are created from users and available for install. So can those also be downloaded in Launchbox when downloading media for the games? I hope I'm not wearing you out with all the questions lol, I can't thank you enough for helping me get this set up....my nieces are gonna love it 😜

Yes, you can change and use different logos of course. From within the game import wizard when you get to the media be sure to check the box for Clear Logos. This will get the more traditional logos like you are showing in your pic prior to my post.

If you want other styles just go to our downloads section. There you will see many different clear logo styles for platforms. There may not be a ton for game specific clear logos as that would take a lot of time creating for all the games out there. 

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/category/14-platform-clear-logos/

13 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Yes, you can change and use different logos of course. From within the game import wizard when you get to the media be sure to check the box for Clear Logos. This will get the more traditional logos like you are showing in your pic prior to my post.

If you want other styles just go to our downloads section. There you will see many different clear logo styles for platforms. There may not be a ton for game specific clear logos as that would take a lot of time creating for all the games out there. 

Thank you sir! I'll be sure to look. And thank you again for all the help! I have been trying to set it up for weeks now so you're a lifesaver. Take care and if you ever have any questions about anything don't hesitate! 

26 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Hey do you have any idea why the wheel would be spinning by itself? Is there anything I can do to stop it from doing that? It just spins uncontrollably and stops where it wants to.....kinda strange lol. Or maybe there is an option I may have set to make it do that.....?

Just now, iirishguyi said:

Hey do you have any idea why the wheel would be spinning by itself? Is there anything I can do to stop it from doing that? It just spins uncontrollably and stops where it wants to.....kinda strange lol. Or maybe there is an option I may have set to make it do that.....?

You probably have attract mode on. It is a setting in BB. Under "Options" page look for "Attract Mode" and see if you have it on.

32 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

You probably have attract mode on. It is a setting in BB. Under "Options" page look for "Attract Mode" and see if you have it on.

I think I do, so you're saying as long as attract mode is on the wheel will move on its own? lol I don't get it.....

Just now, iirishguyi said:

I think I do, so you're saying as long as attract mode is on the wheel will move on its own? lol I don't get it.....

It is to "attract" people to the system to play. Hence the name. You can set a timer on how long the unit sits without being touched before attract mode kicks in. Like how long you set your laptop to be idle before the screen save kicks in. Its a functionality users who builds arcade cabinets would use.