LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox not starting after choosing not to update to 12.14

Zkyo

So, I just started up launchbox a few hours ago, and there was a notification about the new 12.14 update. I wanted to play a game at that moment, so I picked the option to not update. I played some games for a while, closed Bigbox, then an installer popped up to update anyway. So I switched to my computer (I was streaming it to my TV with Moonlight), and the update wizard was gone. I never started the update wizard as I didn't have a keyboard or mouse at the TV. Now, both Launchbox and Bigbox do absolutely nothing when I try to start them. I have them installed on a network share, so maybe the installer only had partial permissions or something, and corrupted a core file. I'm going to make a clean install and copy all of my database files into that. Hopefully that will work, I don't think I would have the patience to rebuild my database from scratch again.

Edited by Zkyo

Moving the database, images, themes, etc. into a fresh install did work, and everything's up and running good again. Here's the broken installation, if any developers want to take a look at what happened. I removed the images, videos, and license file to compact it because the whole directory was 25 GB.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vJW4C6bxgQPq6TajLUqO8nrWhnfFxaNu/view?usp=sharing

@Zkyo Sorry to hear about that; it's hard to say what exactly happened. In the future, if this ever happens again, an easier solution would just be to run the latest installer over top of your existing folder. That should fix any corrupted install issues without harming your games or configuration.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A little update on this, this has consistently happened with every update. 12.14, 12.15 (and its hotfix, if i recall), and 13.0. It's simple enough of a fix, just run the installer again on the same directory like Jason said. It's still a little annoying though.

Edited by Zkyo

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Ceros said:

Same thing just happened to me with 13.1. 

Did you already try what was suggested in this post to run the installer overtop your current build? That would solve it for you.

For any program, it's never a good idea to stop an installation from happening while it's in the middle of messing with the program's files.

If you know you don't want to update to newer versions, you should go into Tools > Options > Updates and uncheck all the options in there. Then if you ever want to update, you can run a manual check by clicking on the Hamburger Menu > Help > Check for Updates

3 minutes ago, faeran said:

Did you already try what was suggested in this post to run the installer overtop your current build? That would solve it for you.

For any program, it's never a good idea to stop an installation from happening while it's in the middle of messing with the program's files.

If you know you don't want to update to newer versions, you should go into Tools > Options > Updates and uncheck all the options in there. Then if you ever want to update, you can run a manual check by clicking on the Hamburger Menu > Help > Check for Updates

Yes, reinstalling fixed the issue. I get that cancelling the installation may corrupt some files but if this is always true, why even have a cancel button?