LaunchBox Community Forums

Curated set of Mame roms

GuyManDude

Thanks for your time.  I setup Mame on my computer more than a decade ago and I recall spending countless hours trying to fix games that wouldn't work or crashed etc.  I just installed it again and downloaded some roms and already I am finding similar issues.  Most of the roms have problems or don't work properly etc.  Has someone made the effort to curate a set great roms which just work and made them available for download by chance?  

Edited by GuyManDude

Please do not ask for roms here.

Your games are not working because you cannot just download individual roms for Mame and have them work. Split and Merged sets have other files within the set required to work such as parent roms and bios. You should download a complete Mame set which you can find on the pleasuredome git page.

If you want a curated rom set I suggest downloading a complete Non-Merged Mame set. You can pull individual zip files from that set and those roms will work on their own.

Thanks for your feedback. 

If you want a curated rom set I suggest downloading a complete Non-Merged Mame set. You can pull individual zip files from that set and those roms will work on their own.

That single statement means more than hours of reading long winded posts that leave out the important info.

Edited by GuyManDude
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, GuyManDude said:

That single statement means more than hours of reading

Google "pleasuredome git". Click MAME. Scroll down to the MAME Full Sets section. Click the "MAME 0.246 ROMs (non-merged)" link. Copy the magnet link and use a torrent client to download the files. You could either download the whole set or you could pick the individual files to be downloaded. [There are scripts on this forum which you can use to extract the most popular games from the non-merged set so that you save room and don't have a bunch of redundant and garbage games.] The way a non-merged set works is that each game zip has all the required files needed to make it work and it can exist on its own outside of the entire set. This also makes the set significantly larger than the other sets that contain shared files between the zips, but as long as you only keep 500 games, for example, of the ?3,200? games in the set then you will actually save space.

• Like 1