LaunchBox Community Forums

Which is the best MAME ROMSET/ Retroarch Core combination to use?

VegasMiggiani

Hi there team!

I just purchased a full version of Launchbox for Android - which I love - but I'm having a REALLY difficult time getting any of the Retroarch Cores to work with the MAME ROMs I have.  At least, I think that's the problem.  I have loaded ALL of the MAME Cores and I still can't get a game to load.  I just get the black screen that hangs.

I CAN get the other systems to work with Retroarch (SNES, NES, Genesis, etc.).  And if I use MAME4Droid, I can get the ROMS to load, but they take a REALLY long time to load - that's another topic.  I'm using .139u1.  Is there an optimal MAME Core to use?  And what ROMSET should I use with it?

Thanks!!

• 1 year later...

Best answer is to not use RA for Mame. Their core is crap. Use standalone mame. 

Most likely issue as to why you cannot get LB to launch mame games through RA is you have the option to extract rom ticked  

Edit Retroarch in LB (>Tools >Manage >Emulators) and see if you have the box checked to "Extract Rom archive before running" checked. If so, uncheck it. 

14 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Best answer is to not use RA for Mame. Their core is crap. Use standalone mame. 

Most likely issue as to why you cannot get LB to launch mame games through RA is you have the option to extract rom ticked  

Edit Retroarch in LB (>Tools >Manage >Emulators) and see if you have the box checked to "Extract Rom archive before running" checked. If so, uncheck it. 

This worked for me.

Just a question: Of course, it is better to use Mame instead of RA, but for me it seems that making the bezels possible with RA is very easy and I struggled trying with just standalone Mame.
I could not find a good guide on how to achieve this, so I kept using RA just for that. Any tips on how to get the RA bezels to work on standalone Mame?