LaunchBox Community Forums

Anyone successfully using the Supermodel emulator for Sega Model 3 games?

MetaRidley42

I’m far from useless when it comes to command line interface is and software that’s not entirely user-friendly, but this potential project still has me fairly stumped.

There’s really only two games that I want to play as close to accurately as possible, Star Wars trilogy, and the Ocean Hunter. Obviously I’d like to launch them through Launchbox, but my main hangup is that it seems that only certain revisions of this emulator work well with certain games, I can’t find a reliable updated source as to which revision should be the one that I could pick that might work with at least those two games (also Jurassic Park lost world would be nice).

i’m also not sure where the best place is to download the actual emulator, as I’ve seen various places saying to avoid EmuCR.

I haven’t even gotten far enough to worry about how controls are mapped etc., or Launchbox integration, but at the start I’m just wondering if anyone here has any of these titles up and running.

I’m mainly just wondering if anybody here has it up and running to their satisfaction for some or all Model 3 games, and if you could share a little bit of your process on how you got that working generally and with Launchbox.

3 hours ago, MetaRidley42 said:

I’m far from useless when it comes to command line interface is and software that’s not entirely user-friendly, but this potential project still has me fairly stumped.

There’s really only two games that I want to play as close to accurately as possible, Star Wars trilogy, and the Ocean Hunter. Obviously I’d like to launch them through Launchbox, but my main hangup is that it seems that only certain revisions of this emulator work well with certain games, I can’t find a reliable updated source as to which revision should be the one that I could pick that might work with at least those two games (also Jurassic Park lost world would be nice).

i’m also not sure where the best place is to download the actual emulator, as I’ve seen various places saying to avoid EmuCR.

I haven’t even gotten far enough to worry about how controls are mapped etc., or Launchbox integration, but at the start I’m just wondering if anyone here has any of these titles up and running.

I’m mainly just wondering if anybody here has it up and running to their satisfaction for some or all Model 3 games, and if you could share a little bit of your process on how you got that working generally and with Launchbox.

There are many Supermodel threads including a recent one on control setup (search Supermodel in top right box of forum). You will also see in search results a plugin to help with importing ROMs for Supermodel.  

But for setup here is commands in this thread:

4 hours ago, MetaRidley42 said:

but my main hangup is that it seems that only certain revisions of this emulator work well with certain games, I can’t find a reliable updated source as to which revision should be the one that I could pick that might work with at least those two games (also Jurassic Park lost world would be nice).

I've never had any issues with those games needing a specific version. The best place to get the latest is either join the supermodel3 forum and grab the current version there. There is also valuable information for any Sega Model 3 questions you have, as they've probably all be asked before. You can also get the latest versions in their Discord channel if you prefer that.