LaunchBox Community Forums

Mass Edit Titles in Metadata

spyksaturn

Not a noob but couldn't think where else to post this as it seems it may be a helpful time saver for noobs (and myself) if there is an answer.

Recently had an issue where I had to reimport my Mame library (from an accident I did myself). I had everything the way I wanted it, however, I have ran into an issue where all the images are no longer showing up and the titles have switched back to the rom name instead of the actual name of the game. I was curious if there happened to be something I am missing where you can auto pull the title names to replace the rom name in the metadata so I would not have to go through and do each one by one. I know a quick way to get all the images back after searching on the forum and also noticed as I changed the names on an individual basis the images came back. Trying to find a time saving way of doing this. 

57 minutes ago, spyksaturn said:

Oh yeah its been a bit since this happened. I already started fixing the issues so many start up since.

keep in mind you can always copy those backup archives to another folder to keep a true forever backup. you don't have to leave them in the default backup folder where they will get get cycled out with newer backup versions the more you open/close the program.

So on 2nd thought, why the hell did the ROM's import and assign a "title" as the file name instead of the game title? It suggests you did not "scrape" the ROM's against the correct platform, therefore would not populate metadata and therefore leaves the ROM's file name as the title and more or less everything else blank.  Is this what in fact happened, all metadata was empty basically besides the title field, which was populated by the file name?

If so, please try re-importing again and be sure you are scraping using the intended platform which would be Arcade. If you wanted you could test with just a single ROM and if that is all it was to fix you up then do your whole library.

Sorry, when I said "whole library" I should have said whole MAME/Arcade library. I didn't mean to reimport your entire LB library of likely many platforms lol. oh boy, that's interesting. you're problem isn't exactly lining up with a scenario I can wrap my head around now. this doesn't make sense to me at this moment. to explain, if things like description and genre were populated it pulled in data from the database and it should have the database ID# in the top right of the game edit window. if that is there it should have pulled in ALL metadata, I don't think there are options to have it only populate certain fields so that is why I think this problem sounds bizarre. do you see that database ID# being filled in, and the link takes you to the correct game webpage?

1 hour ago, spyksaturn said:

Correct I do. I'm currently trying to reimport all metadata for arcade games to see if that fixes anything. Everything is under arcade as well. Will see if this fixes anything. 

OK that is good news! Should be as easy as letting it download the most up-to-date metadata and update your MAME/Arcade library metadata. Fingers crossed! 🤞