LaunchBox Community Forums

Looking for advice on which build(s) I should try.

dmaker

I've been a long time LB user and retro fan. I've had a lifetime BB license for as long as I can remember now. I've always been able to get things up and running easily enough with systems that are my main interests: 80's arcade games and 8-bit and 16-bit consoles. But over the years I see these gorgeous builds on youtube. Lately I have decided to finally get around to finding one and just sticking with it. 

The system for this is an MSI gaming laptop that has become my TV pc as I purchased a newer one recently. The TV PC has 32 GB of RAM, 1.5 TB of SATA SSD, and a GTX 980M. Certainly capable of emulating the platforms that interest me the most. 

Right now it is running a Retrobat build (VLC) that is actually really good. Kodi integration is awesome and it looks pretty good, but my true love is LB, not Retrobat. I am drooling over some of the videos for CP78 builds, but dang they are huge! I did recently get an invite for site name removed so I should be able to download one soon. I was hoping to get some advice here maybe on if going the CP78 route will work for me--would I have enough disk space for one? Also, if someone has different suggestions, I am all ears. 

I don't care much about more modern consoles---I'd rather just play the pc version via GOG or something. I don't have much interest in arcade games beyond the late 80's .   Most of these prebuilds come with hundreds of GB of stuff that is super cool to look at, but probably wouldn't play all that often. 

The key points for me are:

working MAME roms (or mostly anway)

easily swap from Kodi back to the games front end. 

stability

modular (if it gets too big I can strip off stuff that I don't use)

Do your own build but please do not discuss those pre configured builds on the internet. They are illegal and often come from shady sites and you do not know what kind of software is bundled with them.

Also this forum section is not for the discussion of such builds, it is here for people to show off their own.

Thread locked.