LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch: VICE Core, any C64 fans out there?

djsim101

Hi All, 

I hope one you fellow C64 fans can help me here as I am currently stuck.

Basically, if I set the control input as "joystick", I cannot call up the on-screen keyboard. If I change the control back to "retropad" which is the default, the virtual keyboard is opened by pressing the select button on the controller. 

The problem is, some games wont accept the "Press fire to start" input using the retropad option, Creatures for example is one of the these games. 

Is there anyway that I can fix this issue? I would love to be able to you the joystick option while been able to access the keyboard. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks guys

I don’t use RetroArch for computer systems, as I have exactly the same issues like you. You definitely want to have a separate keyboard instead of having it on-screen for computers. For some people it’s less practical, as it obviously is on a handheld, but if you have a keyboard anyway lying around, it’s much better. I’m using WinVice for C64 and it works great.
I think RetroArch is absolutely great for emulating consoles though, with it’s cores getting better and better. 

Thanks for the reply DeadVoivod. I agree, at times, standalone emulators can be better than RA, I just love the bezels tho :-) 

I kinda got it working. If you set the controls in "input" in the quick menu screen, then go into the core options and re-map the retropad, you can get it working that way. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey there!  I have the solutions ot all yoru problems, this is all normal behavior. A bit confusing but once u learn it is easy.  Default settings, press the right CTRL key to swap the c64 joystick from port 1 to port 2 and back. C64 games work on either port 1 or port 2, seemingly random,. more on port 2, but still some o port 1, so u gotta try both if unsure.  Also, if you 3ant to use thje ful real c64 keyboard, press SCROLL LOCK KEY.  This will toggle the keyboard into real c64 keyboard mode, the shortcut hotkeys will not work inthis mode, so if u want to swap joy ports, u gotta toggle of scroll lock, then press right ctrl key, then tap scroll lock again.

Spacebar wil fast forward, great for load time, but againb, only if scroll lock is off when u press it.  My advice I am using with RETRO:PAD default setting, using Xinput compatible pad, the 8bitdo SN30 pro 2. There is a project out there too now where people are ocnveerting tap and d64 images to CRT, cart files, and easyflash files, if u can find these, then they all load instantly, no need to type or wait, bloody awesome.  There are around 2000 or so fuly converted games so far if u can fine the full set, not to hard with a bit of searching.