LaunchBox Community Forums

Apple II via Retroarch

Scarletic

I am trying to make very uniform LaunchBox set, so I am using only Retroarch. And I've set up all systems with it's own core. So now I am trying to set up Apple II by MAME/MESS core, and I get absolutely stuck. Can anyone give me as full as possible instruction how to make this work, please??

8 hours ago, SiriusVI said:

Oh man, this thread is rather old, haha. It's probably time for an update. I've learned since then, that you just need a full mame set + softest roms in the correct folders. That will save a LOT of headache.

I've also since then used the pointers/tips in that post 😃
Guess I also need to change my settings to something easier

FOR REFERENCES TO FILES SEE ATTACHMENTS.

Put the following file in your '\RetroArch\config\MAME' folder
apple2e.opt (this file is REQUIRED)

You can add these two files below in the same '\RetroArch\config\MAME' folder but only if you use a shader pack with VULCAN. Else skip copying these to the retroarch\config\mame folder
[---
apple2e.slangp (only copy it there if you have DUIMON's preset pack installed, else skip this file)
apple2e.cfg (only copy it there if you have a shader pack which requires VULKAN, for instance DUIMON's preset pack, else skip this file)
---]

Place the following file in your '\RetroArch\system\mame\ini' folder

apple2e.ini (Be sure to change ALL the paths to match your folders. Mine has the C drive for Retroarch and Launchbox. So change the rompath to your apple2E games folder AND change the paths to your RETROARCH install folder)
apple2INI.thumb.PNG.521d2de5594198f12c46af5f609c28be.PNG

Your games should be placed in a following folder
C:\LaunchBox\Games\Apple II\apple2e

and it should also contain following BIOS files. (so the apple2e, apple2, votrax, d2fdc and a2diskiii) (SEE APPLE2BIOSPACK.zip)
To be sure I copied ALL other apple2 bios files from my MAME arcade folder and placed them in my apple2e folder.

I have copied all games from my MAME SL folder 'apple2_flop_clcracked' to my launchbox\games\apple II\apple2e folder.

BIOS.thumb.PNG.c8d9d7bd8d8b0f262d97c7295e8b7a40.PNG

Make sure ALL hashes from your latest MAME install are also present in your RETROARCH folder
\RetroArch\system\mame\hash
(you can copy them over from your MAME install folder - \Emulators\MAME\hash)
1349189465_MAMEHASH.thumb.PNG.8c46a77af37219722f0629442f69c1d2.PNG

For Retroarch I am using the latest version with the MAME 0.249 libreto core and the MAME 0.249 Software LISTS

906119853_Retroarchdetails.thumb.PNG.d3ca2cd692fc1c0896b1087d3b785fa8.PNG

1140094029_Retroarchplatformdetails.thumb.PNG.e28147fb6e3d35178a06ca0b768774b1.PNG

With these settings I can run apple2 games.
If you run the game, be sure to wait a few seconds and the game will load. No need for extra command parameters.

PACMAN
pacman-221125-224315.thumb.png.84ae2e5b539e01b0307c08093d9f648d.png

apple2e.opt apple2e.slangp apple2e.cfg apple2e.ini

apple2biospack.zip

Edited by launchretrogirl2562
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, launchretrogirl2562 said:

FOR REFERENCES TO FILES SEE ATTACHMENTS.

Put the following file in your '\RetroArch\config\MAME' folder
apple2e.opt (this file is REQUIRED)

You can add these two files below in the same '\RetroArch\config\MAME' folder but only if you use a shader pack with VULCAN. Else skip copying these to the retroarch\config\mame folder
[---
apple2e.slangp (only copy it there if you have DUIMON's preset pack installed, else skip this file)
apple2e.cfg (only copy it there if you have a shader pack which requires VULKAN, for instance DUIMON's preset pack, else skip this file)
---]

Place the following file in your '\RetroArch\system\mame\ini' folder

apple2e.ini (Be sure to change ALL the paths to match your folders. Mine has the C drive for Retroarch and Launchbox. So change the rompath to your apple2E games folder AND change the paths to your RETROARCH install folder)
apple2INI.thumb.PNG.521d2de5594198f12c46af5f609c28be.PNG

Your games should be placed in a following folder
C:\LaunchBox\Games\Apple II\apple2e

and it should also contain following BIOS files. (so the apple2e, apple2, votrax, d2fdc and a2diskiii) (SEE APPLE2BIOSPACK.zip)
To be sure I copied ALL other apple2 bios files from my MAME arcade folder and placed them in my apple2e folder.

I have copied all games from my MAME SL folder 'apple2_flop_clcracked' to my launchbox\games\apple II\apple2e folder.

BIOS.thumb.PNG.c8d9d7bd8d8b0f262d97c7295e8b7a40.PNG

Make sure ALL hashes from your latest MAME install are also present in your RETROARCH folder
\RetroArch\system\mame\hash
(you can copy them over from your MAME install folder - \Emulators\MAME\hash)
1349189465_MAMEHASH.thumb.PNG.8c46a77af37219722f0629442f69c1d2.PNG

For Retroarch I am using the latest version with the MAME 0.249 libreto core and the MAME 0.249 Software LISTS

906119853_Retroarchdetails.thumb.PNG.d3ca2cd692fc1c0896b1087d3b785fa8.PNG

1140094029_Retroarchplatformdetails.thumb.PNG.e28147fb6e3d35178a06ca0b768774b1.PNG

With these settings I can run apple2 games.
If you run the game, be sure to wait a few seconds and the game will load. No need for extra command parameters.

PACMAN
pacman-221125-224315.thumb.png.84ae2e5b539e01b0307c08093d9f648d.png

apple2e.opt 652 B · 0 downloads apple2e.slangp 122 B · 0 downloads apple2e.cfg 264 B · 0 downloads apple2e.ini 8.48 kB · 0 downloads

apple2biospack.zip 861.03 kB · 0 downloads

HUGE THANKS!!

57 minutes ago, launchretrogirl2562 said:

Does this mean you did manage to get it working?

Nope. Will now start trying! Have a lot of questions! Can you give me apple2.xml and apple2gs.xml? I found other, but not this two.

Can you show me your game folder? I want to understand naming paterns.

You can find all the hash files (xml) from the latest MAME install
https://www.mamedev.org/release.php

Just download version 0.249 and install it somewhere.
In the installed mame folder there you will find a directory called hash. You can copy this entire directory to your \RetroArch\system\mame\ directory.

As for naming conventions, it looks for the exact filename in the xml (see <software name='NAMEOFGAME'>). Therefor you will need to find the latest MAME SOFTWARE LISTS.
So in your apple2e folder you will have games like alcazar.zip, aztec.zip, amchal.zip,... (or see Apple2MAMESLroms)

930216953_MAMESLAPPLE.thumb.PNG.57294201b668fe3f86d01860a2b79717.PNG

AppleMAMESLroms.PNG

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, launchretrogirl2562 said:

You can find all the hash files (xml) from the latest MAME install
https://www.mamedev.org/release.php

Just download version 0.249 and install it somewhere.
In the installed mame folder there you will find a directory called hash. You can copy this entire directory to your \RetroArch\system\mame\ directory.

As for naming conventions, it looks for the exact filename in the xml (see <software name='NAMEOFGAME'>). Therefor you will need to find the latest MAME SOFTWARE LISTS.
So in your apple2e folder you will have games like alcazar.zip, aztec.zip, amchal.zip,... (or see Apple2MAMESLroms)

930216953_MAMESLAPPLE.thumb.PNG.57294201b668fe3f86d01860a2b79717.PNG

AppleMAMESLroms.PNG

They have removed this two xml files for some reason. Found them in older release.

Do I have to rename files inside game archive to be the same as in XML? Or may be there is a place to get roms alredy prepared to MAME?

1208714807_applemameSLlists.thumb.PNG.fc8ec1982979059e688273c85d550c0c.PNG

These are the apple2 hash related xml's from the official latest release from mame 0.249
So no, they have not removed any files.

My example above uses all zips from the apple2_flop_clcracked.xml
Those zips i copied in my apple2e games folder in launchbox

QUESTION  : Also, is it critical to have the same SHA1 and CRC hash sum for every file in archive as in xml file?

I cannot tell for sure. Cause I haven't tested it. My SL list is up to date so I have not encountered this issue.
I think bios files is more of an issue than  the hash for the roms.

Just  download from internet archive https://archive.org/download/mame-sl/mame-sl/

https://ia904505.us.archive.org/view_archive.php?archive=/17/items/mame-sl/mame-sl/apple2_flop_clcracked.zip

Download that zip file. Extract it somewhere. Copy one rom from it to your launchbox\games\apple II\apple2e games folder
And follow the other walktrough.

If you follow these tips and attachments from my earlier post.
Just test with one rom (for instance pacman.zip from the internet archive link above)
Then it should work.

As for the naming. Do not rename any files in your game folder. Leave them as you download them from the mame software lists. (and as they are described in the Mame SL xml)
And then you can use the Mame software Lists import tool to import them into launchbox

This tool scrapes the actual name, which allows launchbox to scrape the correct artworks.
So alcazar.zip wil get imported into Launchbox with the title 'Alcazar the Forgotten Fortress (cleanly cracked)'

My advice would be, before scraping for artwork to edit your Launchbox aplle2 xml file and get rid of the ' (cleanly cracked)' from your title names

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, launchretrogirl2562 said:

1208714807_applemameSLlists.thumb.PNG.fc8ec1982979059e688273c85d550c0c.PNG

These are the apple2 hash related xml's from the official latest release from mame 0.249
So no, they have not removed any files.

My example above uses all zips from the apple2_flop_clcracked.xml
Those zips i copied in my apple2e games folder in launchbox

QUESTION  : Also, is it critical to have the same SHA1 and CRC hash sum for every file in archive as in xml file?

I cannot tell for sure. Cause I haven't tested it. My SL list is up to date so I have not encountered this issue.
I think bios files is more of an issue than  the hash for the roms.

Just  download from internet archive https://archive.org/download/mame-sl/mame-sl/

https://ia904505.us.archive.org/view_archive.php?archive=/17/items/mame-sl/mame-sl/apple2_flop_clcracked.zip

Download that zip file. Extract it somewhere. Copy one rom from it to your launchbox\games\apple II\apple2e games folder
And follow the other walktrough.

If you follow these tips and attachments from my earlier post.
Just test with one rom (for instance pacman.zip from the internet archive link above)
Then it should work.

As for the naming. Do not rename any files in your game folder. Leave them as you download them from the mame software lists. (and as they are described in the Mame SL xml)
And then you can use the Mame software Lists import tool to import them into launchbox

This tool scrapes the actual name (so which allows launchbox to scrape the correct artworks.
So alcazar.zip wil get imported into Launchbox with the title 'Alcazar the Forgotten Fortress (cleanly cracked)'

My advice would be, before scraping for artwork to edit your Launchbox aplle2 xml file and get rid of the ' (cleanly cracked)' from your title names

Huge thanks! Made it work perfect!!

Can I bother you about some other platforms later? Planing to add Loopy, Astrocade, FM Towns and more to my collection!

BALLY  ASTROCADE

Download the complete mame software  list
https://archive.org/download/mame-sl/mame-sl/astrocde.zip/

Copy all zips in your launchbox games folder and make sure they  are in the 'astrocde' folder
\\LaunchBox\Games\Bally Astrocade\astrocde

Also copy the astrocde.zip BIOS in the same game folder as it is required to make the games run.

Make sure your \RetroArch\system\mame\hash has the astrocde.xml file

Place the following file(s) in your \RetroArch\config\MAME folder
astrocde.opt is REQUIRED
(astrocde.slangp and astrocde.cfg is only if you use the DUIMON preset)

Place the following  file in your \RetroArch\system\mame\ini folder
astrocde.ini is REQUIRED
(Be sure to change the FILEPATHS in this ini to match your launchbox game folder and retroarch folders)

AS to joypad controls. Check this link.
https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/22600/how-to-emulate-bally-astrocade-vtech-creativision-and-emerson-arcadia-2001-in-lr-mess

RETROARCH SETTING
2077124349_BallyAstrocadeRetroarchEmulator.thumb.PNG.e8fa1a4eaa5f35c6fd4b140dcad827bb.PNG

astrocde.opt astrocde.slangp astrocde.cfg astrocde.ini astrocde.zip astrocde.xml

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, launchretrogirl2562 said:

Sure. That would be no problem.

Welp, will be grateful, if you give me necessary bios files list, opt file, ini file and launch box extra command line parameters for following platform, when you have time!
- FM Towns Marty
- Epoch Super Cassette Vision
- Casio Loopy
- Bally Astrocade
- Casio PV-1000

- Tiger Game.Com
- APF Imagination Machine
- Epoch Game Pocket Computer
- Funtech Super A'can

Thanks a lot in advance! No need to hurry~

3 minutes ago, Scarletic said:

Welp, will be grateful, if you give me necessary bios files list, opt file, ini file and launch box extra command line parameters for following platform, when you have time!
- FM Towns Marty
- Casio Loopy
- Bally Astrocade
- Casio PV-1000

- Tiger Game.Com
- APF Imagination Machine
- Epoch Game Pocket Computer
- Funtech Super A'can

Thanks a lot in advance! No need to hurry~

The following I can supply for you in the coming days
- Bally Astrocade (THIS ONE I ALREADY PROVIDED ABOVE)
- Casio PV-1000

- Tiger Game.Com
- Funtech Super A'can

The others, I have to look into. FM Towns I use TSUGARU emulator, and not mame SL combined with retroarch. It's on my list to change to retroarch.
APF I use mame, it is on my list to change to retroarch.
Epoch game Pocket computer I have not looked into. I can check it out and see if I can get it running.

3 minutes ago, launchretrogirl2562 said:

The following I can supply for you in the coming days
- Bally Astrocade (THIS ONE I ALREADY PROVIDED ABOVE)
- Casio PV-1000

- Tiger Game.Com
- Funtech Super A'can

The others, I have to look into. FM Towns I use TSUGARU emulator, and not mame SL combined with retroarch. It's on my list to change to retroarch.
APF I use mame, it is on my list to change to retroarch.
Epoch game Pocket computer I have not looked into. I can check it out and see if I can get it running.

Great! So I will look into FM Towns, APF and Epoch Pocket later and will provide you files if I could make it work!

• Like 1