LaunchBox Community Forums

Apple II via Retroarch

Scarletic

FM Marty is so far, so good................looking good.
I think I got it working. But I need to test some more.
Which mame SL hash file and corresponding roms are you looking to emulate in MAME?

I am now using the roms in the fmtowns_cd.xml and using the fmtownsux.zip BIOS

And that is working, with controller support.

There are some exceptions with the need for blank disks, with extra ramsize needed and with mounting more than one disk.
So I think to get all roms working, it needs custom work for certain roms/chd's
Also, it will require an extra setting in the related opt file to lower the processor.
For instance :
mame_cpu_overclock = "55"

32 minutes ago, launchretrogirl2562 said:

FM Marty is so far, so good................looking good.
I think I got it working. But I need to test some more.
Which mame SL hash file and corresponding roms are you looking to emulate in MAME?

I am now using the roms in the fmtowns_cd.xml and using the fmtownsux.zip BIOS

And that is working, with controller support.

There are some exceptions with the need for blank disks, with extra ramsize needed and with mounting more than one disk.
So I think to get all roms working, it needs custom work for certain roms/chd's
Also, it will require an extra setting in the related opt file to lower the processor.
For instance :
mame_cpu_overclock = "55"

I used fmtowns_cd.xml and fmtmarty.zip bios. Problem is, it uses some weird file hierarchy I could not make to work. "Files format to use *.chd file with a zipped blank dummy file"

My setup was leave the folders with the chd intact and copy them over to the games folder
for instance
FM TOWNS\fmtownsux\SSF2\ [this folder containing the CHD file]

FM TOWNS\fmtownsux\SSf2.zip [this is the blank zip file with corresponding name]

And in launchbox use retroarch with mame libreto with the parameters
fmtownsux -cdrm

Copy the fmtownsux.zip BIOS to the games folder.

And just import the blank zip file as game.
And that works

I just added the fmtownsux.ini with the correct rompath to the FM TOWNS\fmtownsux
and I added an fmtownsux.opt file with the mame settings

fmtowns.PNG.507b901e5b134c866d1c8621615acf85.PNG

Can you send me one game rom 100% working as reference?

12 minutes ago, launchretrogirl2562 said:

My setup was leave the folders with the chd intact and copy them over to the games folder
for instance
FM TOWNS\fmtownsux\SSF2\ [this folder containing the CHD file]

FM TOWNS\fmtownsux\SSf2.zip [this is the blank zip file with corresponding name]

And in launchbox use retroarch with mame libreto with the parameters
fmtownsux -cdrm

Copy the fmtownsux.zip BIOS to the games folder.

And just import the blank zip file as game.
And that works

I just added the fmtownsux.ini with the correct rompath to the FM TOWNS\fmtownsux
and I added an fmtownsux.opt file with the mame settings

fmtowns.PNG.507b901e5b134c866d1c8621615acf85.PNG

On 11/28/2022 at 10:22 PM, Scarletic said:

Thanks!

Managed to make APF work, but only with carts. Still need to bind controls, but it works! (apfimag.zip is bios)
image.png.244d76971e70ceffdcdbb8a086d3a881.png
image.thumb.png.7e91125be05502fd0ee2ddc78b8caa4d.png

apfimag.ini 9.04 kB · 1 download apfm1000.xml 9.81 kB · 1 download apfimag.zip 6.73 kB · 1 download apfimag.opt 649 B · 1 download

APF cassettes is seriously glitchy, as they state in the xml file.
I managed to load the basic cart.
In your biospack APFIMAG.zip you need to add the basic roms
image.thumb.png.ccab3a46dfb61c22116f2dd1923d760e.png

I can then get the cassette to load.
But I somehow cannot get the RUN command in.

To get this to work, you also need to make a small change in the apfimag.ini

image.png.c0f4b51e23806a271425503d5a842618.png

And you need to enter the autoload command in your ini

image.thumb.png.5d779cddb88500478ffe7938310724ba.png

Launching your games will get you to the basic screen.
Pressing ENTER will get you to the next screen asking you to rewing tape and press play.

And that is about as far as I get
I also used this post on reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/MAME/comments/i6r2bd/apf_imagination_machine/

Maybe you will have more luck with it.

• 5 months later...
On 11/27/2022 at 2:16 AM, launchretrogirl2562 said:

You can find all the hash files (xml) from the latest MAME install
https://www.mamedev.org/release.php

Just download version 0.249 and install it somewhere.
In the installed mame folder there you will find a directory called hash. You can copy this entire directory to your \RetroArch\system\mame\ directory.

As for naming conventions, it looks for the exact filename in the xml (see <software name='NAMEOFGAME'>). Therefor you will need to find the latest MAME SOFTWARE LISTS.
So in your apple2e folder you will have games like alcazar.zip, aztec.zip, amchal.zip,... (or see Apple2MAMESLroms)

930216953_MAMESLAPPLE.thumb.PNG.57294201b668fe3f86d01860a2b79717.PNG

AppleMAMESLroms.PNG

I don't know where you came from launchretrogirl2562 but you have seriously made my year, You've not only cleared the pain in my head but took the time to explain everything that makes sense and works perfectly. The naming convention between the MAME software lists and the game list I had is what was my cause of pain. Once I used the correct zip game files everything worked.

You truly are a magician, thank you so much!

• Game On 1

7 hours ago, Achilevs said:

I don't know where you came from launchretrogirl2562 but you have seriously made my year, You've not only cleared the pain in my head but took the time to explain everything that makes sense and works perfectly. The naming convention between the MAME software lists and the game list I had is what was my cause of pain. Once I used the correct zip game files everything worked.

You truly are a magician, thank you so much!

you flatter me. this forum gave me much and in such, i try to give back in the same way whenever i feel my contribution helps others.

happy to hear it helped you, made your year and got rid of the pain in your head:D

much obliged

• Like 1
  • Game On 1

I know I'm coming in very late on this.  I got the Apple IIe working by following this whole thread (and some luck).  I'm able to get Apple IIgs working in mame, but can't seem to get it to work on Retroarch using the same Apple II setup.  Am I missing something?

EDIT:  Okay...I got this to work.  I launched RetroArch in verbose mode to follow what the issue was.  I hadn't named my folder correctly.  Now...my problem is setting up the controls on the IIgs.  Any hints?

Edited by Coptimus
update

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 5:16 PM, Greenknight9000 said:

I managed to get Apple II running on Xbox One's Retroarch (with some trial and error) however, I realise that I'd need a keyboard to start most games - is there a way to maybe bind some keyboard keys to the Xbox Controller, since I can't seem to open the Mame Menu in Retroarch

have you tried this

in retroarch\info\mame_libreto.info:

notes = "[1] MAME supports MAME save states.|[2] MAME supports extracted MAME cheats.|[3] The BIOS files must be inside the ROM directory.|[4] CHD files and their directories must be inside the ROM directory.|[5] ARTWORK, CHEATS, HASH, INI and SAMPLES directories can be placed|[^] inside the 'SYSTEMDIR\mame' directory. (INI/Source for drivers)|[6] When saving, the following directories will be created in the 'SAVEDIR\mame'|[^] directory: STATES, NVRAM, INPUT, SNAPS, CFG, MEMCARD, and DIFF.|[7] Default combo to call MAME GUI: Retropad Select + X|[^] Retropad Select + Start => CANCEL"

On 6/13/2023 at 12:14 AM, launchretrogirl2562 said:

have you tried this

in retroarch\info\mame_libreto.info:

notes = "[1] MAME supports MAME save states.|[2] MAME supports extracted MAME cheats.|[3] The BIOS files must be inside the ROM directory.|[4] CHD files and their directories must be inside the ROM directory.|[5] ARTWORK, CHEATS, HASH, INI and SAMPLES directories can be placed|[^] inside the 'SYSTEMDIR\mame' directory. (INI/Source for drivers)|[6] When saving, the following directories will be created in the 'SAVEDIR\mame'|[^] directory: STATES, NVRAM, INPUT, SNAPS, CFG, MEMCARD, and DIFF.|[7] Default combo to call MAME GUI: Retropad Select + X|[^] Retropad Select + Start => CANCEL"

I've tried this, yet it still doesn't seem to work. I'm not quite sure why I can't seem to do this on console.

On a different note, I'm not sure how to get Apple IIGS working on Retroarch in general - nothing seems to launch, despite regular Apple IIe working