LaunchBox Community Forums

8-Bit Christmas

Mr. RetroLust

If you haven't seen the movie yet, I highly recommend it. There's a scene in it where it shows a fictional game which is much more a 16 bit game than 8 bit but still I think gamers from this generation would like it. For me it's already a christmas classic which i'll rewatch upcoming christmasses lol.

The thing is I can really relate to the battle of owning a NES back then. I worked in a backery in 1990 when I was 14 years old, yeah I know the NES was out quite some years but I had to saddle with atari 2600, commodore 64 or PC games in my surroundings while not owning any game system of my own.

I was on a mission to have a NES and all it would take me was working my ass off for two weeks. So I had a job at at backery and I had to do all the shitty jobs of cleaning the fridges and doing the dishes. Most of those days where 10 hour shifts but it was worth it, I mean the NES was next gen man!

At the end of those two weeks I was finally able to cash in and go to the local toy shop... but when I talked to the boss he told me I had to show up next saturday (THE day I would finally play on my treasure) as one girl had eczema on her hands and if I didn't I wouldn't get paid... So in a flash second I decided I'd tell him what he wanted to hear; I would show up the next day. I got my money, went and bought my NES (incl. Zapper, mario and duck hunt) and bought Fester's Quest and never went back to that awful backery and asshole of a boss LMAO.

Well thats my story, hope you guys have some stories as well :)

Happy 4/8/16/32/64 and 256 bit christmasses! ;)

Edited by Mr. RetroLust