LaunchBox Community Forums

kIller Instinct Help

iDOMN8

hey everyone! I have recently gotten my Launchbox sorted and installed I have been in nostalgia heaven! with that being the case i have installed the full mame rom set that is the most recent one. Two of the games I really wanted were killers instinct 1 and 2. The second I try to launch either of those games the screen goes black for a few second and then I'm right back to the Launchbox  launcher screen. I wondered if anyone else had this issue and if there was any sort of a fix. I am sorry of this has been posted elsewhere and I appreciate any and all help.

1 hour ago, spycat said:

These two games need a chd, kinst and kinst2. 

Where do i put these chd files then? I have them in a zip file? just in the main directory where the games are? Also wouldn't that have come in the full rom set?

Edited by iDOMN8

@iDOMN8

A chd file goes inside an open (not zipped) folder named to match the game rom - see attached images.
So your kinst.chd and kinst2.chd files would need to be put in folders called kinst and kinst2 respectively.
You can add these chd folders to the same location as your game roms. They could also go elsewhere, but then you would need to edit your mame.ini file

Screen Shot 01-31-19 at 09.06 PM.PNG

Screen Shot 01-31-19 at 09.12 PM 001.PNG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spycat said:

@iDOMN8

A chd file goes inside an open (not zipped) folder named to match the game rom - see attached images.
So your kinst.chd and kinst2.chd files would need to be put in folders called kinst and kinst2 respectively.
You can add these chd folders to the same location as your game roms. They could also go elsewhere, but then you would need to edit your mame.ini file

Screen Shot 01-31-19 at 09.06 PM.PNG

Screen Shot 01-31-19 at 09.12 PM 001.PNG

this is absolutely what I needed and it of course worked!  A thousand times thanks!

• 1 year later...

Okay I was just coming in to check so that did work for your killer instinct I'm having the same problem right now also I don't even know how to download and then install an entire ROM sets for Maime So I sort of just pick and choose what I want I didn't forget about the Scarface game from PlayStation 2 which is awesome but what he showed you worked for killer instinct? And if so that dude's awesome I've been struggling with it for like a month and then for like 20 years before that. So then I have a modded out arcade one up machine that's got all three killer instincts the newest one and then the other two I can't wait