LaunchBox Community Forums

Force a Mis-identified Game to Rescrape and Associate with Correct Game

neostryder

I read some forum posts on this already, but did not find a solution.  I think it would be a pretty simple fix to let end users correct what game is associated with each import in the event that the wrong game is shown by default.  For example, when I imported my Steam library, three different games were identified as 1 Moment of Time: Silentville (see attached), but only the middle one was correctly identified.  The other two are completely separate games, as shown by the application paths.  If I could right click on a game, either in audit or just in my LB library, then have an option to select game, I could then be presented either with a search box or a URL entry where I could tell the system which game that is, this would solve a big problem for me, and I suspect many others.  Is this possible?  Is there already such functionality that I have not yet found?

Thanks!

-Aaron

2023-01-10_10-33-57.jpg

23 hours ago, neostryder said:

I read some forum posts on this already, but did not find a solution.  I think it would be a pretty simple fix to let end users correct what game is associated with each import in the event that the wrong game is shown by default.  For example, when I imported my Steam library, three different games were identified as 1 Moment of Time: Silentville (see attached), but only the middle one was correctly identified.  The other two are completely separate games, as shown by the application paths.  If I could right click on a game, either in audit or just in my LB library, then have an option to select game, I could then be presented either with a search box or a URL entry where I could tell the system which game that is, this would solve a big problem for me, and I suspect many others.  Is this possible?  Is there already such functionality that I have not yet found?

Thanks!

-Aaron

2023-01-10_10-33-57.jpg

Right click and Edit a game.

In this screen, check the X next to the LaunchBox DB ID# (if it appears):

image.thumb.png.2ed174750f072a4969bb4f2db874322a.png

Then, type in a different title and press the Search for Metadata button that now appears in the same spot.

image.thumb.png.614ac27968b18f8b0a4435518448326f.png

If you cannot find a match, it's possible the game doesn't appear in our database. You could either manually type in metadata info yourself into the fields, or see if the game needs to be added into our database. If it does need to be added to the database, you could give it a try and add it yourself if you are feeling adventurous.

Oh, that's wonderful!  Thank you for explaining that!  One challenge remains, though, would it be possible to get the Steam (or other platform) identifiers (found in the Application Path field in the audit window) added to the Edit Metadata window?  Taking it a step further, when importing, is it possible that this ID could be used to improve identification of the games so we don't get false matches in the first place?  Also, do you have a scraper that can find a Steam ID and parse it for all (or most) of the needed fields to automatically create a new database entry in your system?  Just a few thoughts.  Thank you again for your help!  I got my false dupes corrected now.

I'm getting the impression that the fuzzy search to match names gets pretty erratic with short names, ambiguous/common words, and perhaps numbers and punctuation.  I had trouble with the following being mismatched, among many other similar titles:

• I and Me (Steam)
  • A-Men (Steam)
  • Ato (Steam)
  • Race (Steam)
  • Alone? (Steam)
  • Alone (Steam)

I have also added some entries for some that were missing.

Thanks!

I found another tidbit.  When I unlink their LaunchBox DB IDs from these problem records and type the correct names in, I am finding that they often begin showing the correct box art.  Somehow, though they are matching to the wrong database records for metadata, the names are still getting them to pick up the right images.  I would be happy to talk with someone, if the developers are interested in exploring this topic further with me.