LaunchBox Community Forums

Core directory question

Aevans0001

Hi i was wondering what the purpose of the core directory is.  It seems like it duplicates everything.  So there is a launchbox.exe, confiog files, etc.  When you have launchbox open there is actually a symbolic lik that links to your data, images, etc folders.  This seems redundant and something tht may be slowly down my pc.  I also have configured symbolic links to those directories. So basically core is create a symbolic link to a symbolic link.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Aevans0001 said:

Hi i was wondering what the purpose of the core directory is.  It seems like it duplicates everything.  So there is a launchbox.exe, confiog files, etc.  When you have launchbox open there is actually a symbolic lik that links to your data, images, etc folders.  This seems redundant and something tht may be slowly down my pc.  I also have configured symbolic links to those directories. So basically core is create a symbolic link to a symbolic link.

This was done for backwards compatibility and just folder cleanliness. When we moved from .NET Framework 4.8 to .NET Core 3.1 the file structure applications use changed drastically. We didn't want to clutter the main folder with all the extra crap so we put the main application in the core folder and made a redirect app to sit in the main folder to not break any existing shortcuts. We put the symlinks in the core folder because a lot of the older themes required us to do so to not break pathing. I've never heard of symlinks causing any computer performance hit. Also not real sure why you're already making symlinks yourself in the LB directory.

On 1/13/2023 at 8:30 AM, C-Beats said:

I've never heard of symlinks causing any computer performance hit. Also not real sure why you're already making symlinks yourself in the LB directory.

LOL.  So if you have hundreds of them they tend to take a hit. I had a lot.

As far as symbolic links in my launchbox folder.  i use a symbolic links so that i can play on any computer in my house with the same experiience.  

I have Roms, Manuals, Music, Videos on my nas drive.

I have Images on my d drive

I have all my configurations for all my emulators on my NAS drive

I have the actual emulators on my C drive

I can either go from my Arcade Machine, my racers, My personal Desktop, My laptop, my kids pc and load any game on any emulator i have installed and it will be set up all the same.

There is 1 downfall, for instance if 2 people use the same emulator, sometimes it conflicts and has issues.