LaunchBox Community Forums

Setting Launchbox to Default Home App

Driphyre

Is it possible to make Launchbox have the ability to be selected as the Default Home App for android devices like the retroid pocket? I am seeing that other frontends have this ability and would love to be able to just boot straight into Launchbox when I power on or hit the home button. @Jason Carr Thanks for the continued hard work you do.

Edited by Driphyre

I get it. I make due with how it works now but I don't use DEX so it wouldn't bother me if it became a launcher. I think a lot of us into emulation use small handhelds due to them blowing up in popularity and would like the idea of booting straight into a launcher instead of the home screen. I see tons of people doing Daijisho and could end up siphoning customers from Launchbox because the ability for it to feel more like a true handheld device and not so much a free app on a phone like device. I know. Why don't I just switch to Daijisho then? Well I do and it's great but Launchbox is just built better, looks better and is a true labor of love I have followed for years (Started with PC emulating). Maybe I am the minority in wanting this feature, so be it and I don't want to sound rude at all but I can't imagine how people would want to hold this app back for a feature like DEX which would only serve people who do Samsung phones versus people on Retroids, Anbernics, Odins and more. I think the handheld market will continue to grow beyond what we saw in 2022. I guess if there is no other way to work around this we will need two versions of Launchbox for android to make us all happy Hahaha.

Edited by Driphyre

While my personal use of frontend apps makes me know from experience that any launcher app is incompatible with Dex, it doesn't mean that Dex is the only one of its kind (or possibly even other kinds) that gets broken by launchers. The dev in that thread used "it breaks some setups" in general, they did not refer to Dex in particular. Several other phone and tablets manufacturers have developed launchers of their own to output their device's screen on a TV or monitor without stretching or any black bar, and with other features to boot. Those are probably also broken by the launcher feature since as far as I know they sort of work as launchers of their own and that is what makes them incompatible with other launcher apps. I was the only one referring to Dex because that's the one I know since it is affecting me.

Edited by Flyojumper

Totally, I see. Yeah if it is something that does more harm than good for a range of other setups then for sure. It's not worth having the app be a launcher if it just makes it more of problem across the board. I guess I was a little naive in thinking this would be something that could be used and not complicate setups but I guess I'm wrong. I'll defer to developers who know best what bounds they have to work with when dealing with devices such as androids. I appreciate you enlightening me on the matter and hopefully in the future we can both see some awesome break throughs.