LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame file name to LB database name?

Reaperxero

10 hours ago, Reaperxero said:

I have a ton of video banners that I'm bringing over from hyperspin. The names of course doesn't match LBs data base. Is there a renaming tool to assist with matching the mame database file to LB file names?

example:  "xmvsf.mp4" to "X-Men Vs. Street Fighter-01.mp4"

Thanks 

Media for Launchbox can use either the Launchbox database name, or the rom name itself. If you are using mame short names for your media like it looks like you are, then that will work just fine with Launchbox.

I completely understand the naming scheme for LB, I'm just looking for an app that'll rename files to match LB. In other words, upload a MAME.XML and some sort of LB XML and rename the files that correspond accordingly. In HS, the media files are named identical to the rom file.  

6 minutes ago, Reaperxero said:

I'm just looking for an app that'll rename files to match LB. In other words, upload a MAME.XML and some sort of LB XML and rename the files that correspond accordingly

I dont know of any such tool unfortunately.

6 minutes ago, Reaperxero said:

In HS, the media files are named identical to the rom file.  

As i said in my first reply this works in Launchbox too, media can be named with the name Launchbox gets from the database OR the same as the rom file name, either will work, so in your example of xmvsf.mp4 that will match to the rom just fine with no need to rename it.

1 minute ago, Reaperxero said:

I use 3rd monitor for the app to run the video marquee. I wonder if it's more of that software vs LB. I'll have to look into that. 

Thanks  

You could also have a naming issue with that specific rom, in my Non-Merged 0.250 romset i dont have that exact file, i have xmvsfu instead.

image.thumb.png.7c0024c3f93680321e9f87a7bd4f9ece.png

I'm on Mame .251 as of now. I have the split roms. I did check the naming to make sure it's matching the rom. 

I gotta look into the files to see if there's a xml that shows mame rom name to LB. I bet I can modify one of the tools for HS to work this for me. I'll have to see.