LaunchBox Community Forums

Image Group Issue - Please Help

Pakled

I really want to use the "Arcade Cabinet" images for my arcade games in Launch Box but the "Image Group" menu doesn't have that as a choice. I've looked around and I can't figure out how to either as that as a choice or set a game to that image manually. Please help a newbie, every time you do, an old person gets to play a game. ;)

So essentially I would just move Cabinets to the top of one of those groups and use it where I wanted? OK, just out of curiosity, are there any plans to give all the image groups there own menu item spot or at least let us decide which ones we want listed in our "Image Group" menu?

11 minutes ago, Pakled said:

So essentially I would just move Cabinets to the top of one of those groups and use it where I wanted? OK, just out of curiosity, are there any plans to give all the image groups there own menu item spot or at least let us decide which ones we want listed in our "Image Group" menu?

Not sure I follow. You can change what Image Group you're utilizing per platform already, and they have their own menu where you can manage them inside of Options. Could you elaborate on what you feel is missing?

18 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Not sure I follow. You can change what Image Group you're utilizing per platform already, and they have their own menu where you can manage them inside of Options. Could you elaborate on what you feel is missing?

I mean an option on the "Image Group" menu to list more than just following items: image.png.a6562baec4f93e5c2b74c14f91a5e068.png It would be nice if it listed all the Image Group possibilities (like Cabinets).

Ah, that may be the source of the confusion on my part. You are referring to two completely different mechanics. You're referring to an image type not a group. A group is multiple image types in a predefined order. I think once you get used to how the groups work you'll come to the conclusion that is overall the better system and eliminates a lot of bloat in the UI/App that I admit can already get kind of confusing. If after using it though you feel strongly about your request you're welcome to create a feature request ticket asking for us to review it. At this time though we have no desire to list every image type in that menu.

On a completely different side note, I can appreciate you're an individual with good taste. That theme choice is spot on ;)

4 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Ah, that may be the source of the confusion on my part. You are referring to two completely different mechanics. You're referring to an image type not a group. A group is multiple image types in a predefined order. I think once you get used to how the groups work you'll come to the conclusion that is overall the better system and eliminates a lot of bloat in the UI/App that I admit can already get kind of confusing. If after using it though you feel strongly about your request you're welcome to create a feature request ticket asking for us to review it. At this time though we have no desire to list every image type in that menu.

On a completely different side note, I can appreciate you're an individual with good taste. That theme choice is spot on ;)

OK, yeah, I see the point you're making. For me, I would like to be able to choose an "Image Type" in a simpler fashion but I may need to get used to this first. I'm not 100% sold on the "Cabinets" image type either as many of the games I have simply don't have one or image is of poor quality. I'm guessing I need to download individual files and manipulate them for each game but that is a daunting task considering the shear volume of games. I think i've seen something about there are currated image packs available but given how old a lot of the YouTube tutorials are, I'm not sure where to look. Anyway, thanks for all the help in understanding the system.

The issue you're running into is exactly why we use the groups instead of individual image types. Even within the same platform having the image type you WANT to use in good quality can be hard. Using a group that contain several backup types helps make sure games that DON'T have your primary type at least have SOMETHING drawn on the grid though while you work on finding the image you'd prefer to use.

1 minute ago, C-Beats said:

The issue you're running into is exactly why we use the groups instead of individual image types. Even within the same platform having the image type you WANT to use in good quality can be hard. Using a group that contain several backup types helps make sure games that DON'T have your primary type at least have SOMETHING drawn on the grid though while you work on finding the image you'd prefer to use.

Yeah, that's what I'm learning. Is there an up-to-date tutorial on this topic? Seems like it would be great subject matter.

I am having one problem. I have set my priorities in the Marquees Image group to include the Image type "Arcade - Cabinets" as its number one priority. However, games that do have Arcade - Cabinet image types are displaying the Arcade - Marquee image instead. Any thoughts?