LaunchBox Community Forums

Wiimote as Light Gun Without Dolphin Bar?

spectral

Is it possible to use a Wiimote for PS1/PS2 and Mame light gun games without the Mayflash Dolphin Bar? My PC has built in BT and I have a number of USB BT dongles and I have a generic USB sensor bar. It works great using passthrough mode in Dolphin. However all the tutorials for using the Wiimote in other emulators involves specifically using the Dolphin Bar to connect it in a certain mode.

you could use two burning candles if you wanted lol . def don't need to be the official dolphin bar. I never had one and used them with MAME and Retroarch etc

the complications really comes from you need another app called TOUCHMOTE (https://touchmote.net/). most emulators will not be able to see inputs from the device(s) unless they get remapped appropriately. if I recall right touchmote will be able to set the IR pointer to either mouse or a joystick, and all buttons to either keyboard or controller inputs....and those are inputs emulators that are not Dolphin will be able to understand. but I've never heard of a specific emulator needing a specific sensor bar.  your generic one will work fine

• Like 1

Thanks,, I'll install Touchmote and poke around in the settings. My concern was all the tutorials seem to mention having to have a switch on the dolphin bar set to a specific setting and using that to connect the wiimote too. I wasn't sure if just connecting to regular BT would work of if the dolphin bar had some specific hardware or drivers that made it possible. I've used my current setup in Dolphin and it works great there in passthrough.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I never got it working. I decided the wiimote was better used for Wii games in Dolphin. General opinion seems to be that using touchmote for gun games isn't a great experience anyway, it's not accurate enough to play without on screen cross-hairs and can take a lot messing to get games working with it at all. I've had my eye on the Sinden for a while but just not sure if I'll play enough to warrant the cost or if I'll have a 10 minute nostalgia trip with time crisis.

Edited by spectral
  • Like 1

I use a fork of Touchmote here and with some work you can make it work well, but requires you to have to stand in same place, same side etc. You calibrate it for each wiimote separately and it is possible to play without crosshairs but nowhere as accurate as Sinden or Gun4ir etc but for bits had laying around the house its a very cost effective and useable option.

However if you aren't using the Mayflash wiibar and have Bluetooth connection for wiimote you could look at using Lichtknarre programme

I tried it in the past and it is accurate once set up correctly, but as I was using Mayflash wiibar I didn't want to make the other changes necessary. But if you have a generic USB sensor bar to use with with it, then maybe give it a try.

• Like 2