LaunchBox Community Forums

Read only of DATA folder - any implications?

floodie

39 minutes ago, floodie said:

ok so for clarity - if i read only the data folder i would no longer be able to add and remove favourites. thats annoying. Any other repercussions other than that?

Correct, you are basically preventing any other setting change, edit to a playlist, a platform, a category, a game, emulator set-up, etc.. I would assume any attempt to might crash LB/BB since it will not be able to update the needed file.  You mentioned you would not be doing any changes, but there are changes LB/BB do on their own such as play count and play time. So those would be updated in the platform xaml file automatically. 

1 hour ago, floodie said:

Hmm ok thanks - so, what if i kept all as read only apart from the file which stores the adding of favourited games? - I don't give a monkies about play time or anything else being stored

Whether you care about play count or time or anything else is not the issue. LB automatically tracks things like play count and I do not recall an option to turn that off. So LB needs to write the data to the xaml. Test it and see. Make the folder read only. If LB/BB does not crash or report an error your are good. If it does you know why. Back your data folder up first in case you muck it up.