LaunchBox Community Forums

game folder change

4dogsgaming

is there a way to change the default folder to install games. I moved the launchbox to a new external drive and didn't notice that the folder changed from "games" to 

another folder. now it wants to install any new games to that folder, I would like to return it to the games folder.

• 8 months later...

Hi Retro808 and a merry Christmas to you. 🙂

I'm not at the PC right now but I can describe what I did and send a screenshot later. I am sorting out the ZX Spectrum ROM games right now. I renamed the Speccy master list ROM folder, which is saved as a sub folder in my universal ROM path and this one isn't placed within the LB 'Games' folder but on a seperate data hard drive of the PC. After renaming the game folder, consequently LB didn't find and start the appropriated games any more.

So I went Manage/Platform/Settings/Game(Path), directed to the renamed folder. All is saved properly, I checked after a restart of LB. But the still displayed games can't be launched via LB,why I did a complete folder re-scan afterwards (without re-loading the images) what didn't help either.

Now I got a new issue. The Speccy ROM files partly have odd names and the rescan did crash my painful manually done data base work (within LB). That means, that now around 60 percent of the games do not show the cover art and their correct names any more. The rescan was a reset so to say, and not a refresh process. Why can't LB associate and restore the already saved media data and the corrected names of the ROM.

Okay, that's bad enough as I tweaked the names with LB's database tool for countless hours — but I learned something important: Name your original ROM files correctly, before you do any game transfers into LB. Than a rescan shouldn't be a problem. But it's also too bad, that LB doesn't remember the formally done internal changes and just can't load up what's already there and saved.

Edited by matsrats

• 2 months later...
On 12/24/2023 at 11:47 PM, matsrats said:

Hi Retro808 and a merry Christmas to you. 🙂

I'm not at the PC right now but I can describe what I did and send a screenshot later. I am sorting out the ZX Spectrum ROM games right now. I renamed the Speccy master list ROM folder, which is saved as a sub folder in my universal ROM path and this one isn't placed within the LB 'Games' folder but on a seperate data hard drive of the PC. After renaming the game folder, consequently LB didn't find and start the appropriated games any more.

So I went Manage/Platform/Settings/Game(Path), directed to the renamed folder. All is saved properly, I checked after a restart of LB. But the still displayed games can't be launched via LB,why I did a complete folder re-scan afterwards (without re-loading the images) what didn't help either.

Now I got a new issue. The Speccy ROM files partly have odd names and the rescan did crash my painful manually done data base work (within LB). That means, that now around 60 percent of the games do not show the cover art and their correct names any more. The rescan was a reset so to say, and not a refresh process. Why can't LB associate and restore the already saved media data and the corrected names of the ROM.

Okay, that's bad enough as I tweaked the names with LB's database tool for countless hours — but I learned something important: Name your original ROM files correctly, before you do any game transfers into LB. Than a rescan shouldn't be a problem. But it's also too bad, that LB doesn't remember the formally done internal changes and just can't load up what's already there and saved.

Hi Retro808, 

Your experience with sorting out ZX Spectrum ROM games and dealing with LaunchBox (LB) is certainly insightful. It seems like you've encountered quite a challenge with renaming folders and managing the ROM files within LB. It's unfortunate that LB doesn't seamlessly restore the media data and corrected names after a rescan, especially considering the effort you've put into manually tweaking the database. Regarding your recommendation for https://icoholder.com/en/games, I took a look, and it seems like a comprehensive platform for exploring various games. Integrating platforms like icoholder can certainly enrich the gaming experience and provide valuable insights into the gaming industry.

Edited by quintanbarnes

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2024 at 9:18 PM, quintanbarnes said:

Hi Retro808, 

Your experience with sorting out ZX Spectrum ROM games and dealing with LaunchBox (LB) is certainly insightful. It seems like you've encountered quite a challenge with renaming folders and managing the ROM files within LB. It's unfortunate that LB doesn't seamlessly restore the media data and corrected names after a rescan, especially considering the effort you've put into manually tweaking the database. Regarding your recommendation for https://icoholder.com/en/games, I took a look, and it seems like a comprehensive platform for exploring various games. Integrating platforms like icoholder can certainly enrich the gaming experience and provide valuable insights into the gaming industry.

Yes, that was a quite journey and now I learned my lesson. :) Whenever I need to rename something now, eg. the artwork isn´t found be LB, than I first delete the game in Launchbox, rename the original rom and re-import it by simply drag and drop it into LB. Luckily there are only view roms left with non-conventional names or typos. It´s a rough road to get a perfectly clean collection.