LaunchBox Community Forums

Severe lag, please help

killa7977

Hi there, i'm using launchbox since years, and i absolutely love It. A couple of weeks ago i finally decided to buy a Life Time license, because It deserves. I havent had any kind of issues with the previous old launchbox versione, but now that i have the most recent, It lags as hell. My PC Is working fine untill i launch launchbox, then It starts to lag, everyrhing Is laggy, very laggy. The weird thing Is that when i close launchbox, my PC keeps lagging lot. I have to restart PC, and then It is ok. I have tried different drives, nvme, hard disk, nothing changes. My PC Is a ryzen 2600x with 16gb of RAM and a vega64. Running on a 4k OLED TV and win10pro. I dont know what to do anymore. I can play games and using any programs for hours outside launchbox, and everything Is fine. But when i start launchbox, all changes. Everything becomes laggy. I'm a bit disappointed, my older version worked like a charm. Hope any developer can help me out. I can upload a video on YouTube of necessary

You definitely have something going on with your machine if closing the app doesn't revert any lag your experiencing. LaunchBox doesn't leave anything open or running once the save event is done (which should only last a few seconds after closing the app) and so there would be nothing to affect your PC. When LaunchBox is open you can launch Task Manager and see if your machine is bottlenecking at all. You can also then close LaunchBox and make sure the process closes out (again it won't be removed from the list until the save event finishes, this shouldn't take longer than 60s, if it lasts longer let us know).

I'm pretty sure my PC Is fine, i play games, watch Netflix, use wondershare filmora and everything Is fine. I dont't know how It can be related to launchbox, but It Is a fact that It happens when i open It. Don't you think It Is weird? Later when i got back home i Will post a screen of task manager. Thank for helping me out.

P.s. Is there any report file to forward to developers?

Edited by killa7977

• 2 months later...

This would be your tech assistance avenue. Post your issues along with specific details and any logs and either the Mods, Forum Members, and even the devs (when time permits them) will assist. One of our devs has already responded in your post previously. So just continuing to provide data in this thread is your best recourse. 

If you have logs turned on just post the latest log in this thread so it can be looked at. 

Would like to state that our official support team do not do generic PC support. You've already indicated that your problems in the past have been system issues not related to LaunchBox and well outside what our support can really handle. Feel free to ask on the forums for community help as you have been, but I'm not sure how much everyone will be able to help outside of being able to point you to potential OS settings that may help alleviate your issues.

Well mate, this Is not a "generic" PC issue, because It happens  only when i launch launchbox, so in a way or another It Is related to It. In the past i have said that i "will try" some more, but haven't used launchbox since then cause other things going.... Anyway, i didn't knew that tech support was here on forums, never had any sort of problem untill i bought the licence and update from a very old (but smooth) launchbox build. And the PC hardware Is the same. I'm coming back home in a hour, i Will then post the debug, and record a video of what Is happening, with task manager open. Thanks for your support, believe me, i'm the first Who wants to resolve this 

I have been having issues within the past couple weeks and narrowed it down to a windows update for .net framework. After that update Launchbox would open but if I go to options it would freeze. When launching a game it would take a long time to launch. Once I uninstalled that Windows update everything worked fine. Problem is Windows keeps wanting to apply that update. Not saying that's your issue as well but could be. Like you Launchbox seemed to be the only thing affected.

I looked at them yesterday out of curiosity. I can't say much as I dont work for lb or even know how to read logs and understand it entirely. I did notice a few of the logs contain "out of memory" errors that don't look normal, again I am not saying thats your issue but you should check your RAM usage when LB is running to see if its hitting your max of 16gb. If your running out of memory it will do what your describing, slow your pc to a crawl. Task manager should tell you what is using RAM and whats not

Thanks mate for the support. Yeah i thought same as you, but with task manager open RAM usage Is 15% 😢

I really dont know what to do. Let's Just Hope tech Will help me out. Yesterday i played the finals beta on steam and works flawlessy, then i Launched launch box to add some games, and after 10/15 minutes It started lagging again. Havent Launched any game, Just "played" with frontend options. I closed launchbox and lag was still there. I havent opened anything else. I have had to restart PC. This Is soooo frustrating

Have you tried creating a new empty build in a different drive (if you have more than one drive on the pc) or even just a different folder and see if you have any lag moving around in an empty and new build? Be curious to see if there is any difference.  If no lag then try importing a couple systems and see if anything changes. It would not hurt to give it a test. 

My real guess is you have a software conflict with something you are running on your pc and it is affecting LB/BB. So it is going to take a trial and error hunt down to find what it is. 

I would test it on a separate pc as well, if it works fine on another pc then the problem might be a software/hardware issue on the other pc. Did you also try reverting back to the "older version" so see if that fixes the problem? The fact that it continues after LB is closed is a bad sign. I know this isn't easy to hear, and possibly hard to swallow, but it sounds like you got something else going on that should be checked and not dismissed. I had a pc that would work fine until I started certain types of games, then it would lag and lock up, or sometimes crash. Would work fine for days and days until I started certain games/apps, after replacing the parts one by one I found out it was my CPU causing all the issues, unfortunately it was the LAST part i bought. Event Viewer might have a few answers for you if that is the case. Could just be some buggy gpu drivers or some other driver causing a conflict, so could be something simple, just throwing my opinion out there. I hope you get it figured out. I did not enjoy my time without my pc, i remember how upset I was, fingers crossed that its something simple.

1 hour ago, killa7977 said:

Honestly havent tried this way. I copied my build over different drives like i said in my opening post. I think It Is worth a try. Why are you pointing me this way? What are you thinking about? Just curious 

Something corrupt in the current build maybe. Chances are pretty slim that is the issue, but trying different things is always worthwhile.

Do you by chance use Corsair keyboard? I remember vaguely a few users a while back had some issues with LB and turned out Corsair Utility Engine was causing the problem. I think it had something to do with freezing/lock-ups with LB. I think it was a year or so back. So not sure. Just thought I would mention it.