LaunchBox Community Forums

Severe lag, please help

killa7977

3 hours ago, killa7977 said:

Now, what the hell Is going on? Any of you could try to explain?

Launchbox is a completely different program to what it was in 2018. Thats like saying windows 95 works fine on this hardware but Windows 11 uses more CPU, more RAM and takes up more HDD space than that, well yes of course it does, programs march on at the same pace as hardware, specs for any program will be higher than they were five years ago. Also Launchbox got a complete re-write at one point, so it literally is a different program now.

Sure mate, i know, so a ryzen 2600x paired with a Vega 64 and 16gb of RAM isn't enough? What are you talking about? Are you serious? I have seem It running on hardware a lot less powerful, come on. Have you seen my task manager? CPU Is lower da 10% usage, RAM 15%. Please, be serious

Edited by killa7977

1 hour ago, killa7977 said:

Sure mate, i know, so a ryzen 2600x paired with a Vega 64 and 16gb of RAM isn't enough? What are you talking about? Are you serious? I have seem It running on hardware a lot less powerful, come on. Have you seen my task manager? CPU Is lower da 10% usage, RAM 15%. Please, be serious

You really dont listen do you, i never said it was a power issue, just that requirements for programs increase over time, this was in reference to your quote that a 5 year old version written in a completely different language runs better. Again as as been stated many times in this thread now, that you choose to ignore every time, this unfortunately is a YOU issue, what you are experiencing is not normal, and not what all our other users experience. it has been stated many times now that this issue is likely due to another program or driver on your computer that is poorly coded and interacts negatively with Launchbox/Bigbox not a issue with Launchbox/Bigbox itself, if it were we would have tens of thousands of people also complaining, but obviously we don't.

• Like 1

Mate, i listen, but if you say that, seems like system requirements have raised from the past above my system specs. It Is sure a bit more demanding, but what's the point saying that? Almost any PC can handle lauchbox, and surely mine does. Honestly i dont care how many time It was stated, i'm here ti try to resolve the problem, i do not like wasting  my time. So please, if you have nothing usefull to Say, Just ignore my thread and move along. What are you saying Is not usefull at all. What do you think, if i would have a problem with let's Say anything else i payed for, ie a steam game, i were in Is this  forum complaining IF launchbox Is interfering with that game? What kind of tech will Say . "It Is your problem, It Is tour pc, It Is your drivers, you dont listen, come on ..Other users are trying to help, i dont need your "morale". So this Is why im here. Because I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH LAUNCHBOX and i dont know why.  And i would like to resolve It. I dont care about the money itself, but i like this frontend for my collection and i want to use if possibile.  Now you got me?

Wow man, version 8.2? Thats a really old version. I must have missed that previously when reading your problem. Well, if it works it works I suppose, it's better than nothing. Your missing out on some new features, but at least the PC is working like it used to you. Neil is right about it being a 5 year old version, pretty sure its not even coded with the same programing language, but again I didn't get LB til it was double digit version number i'm only referring to what i've read here in the forums over the years. It's best to not get offended on the forums, it's easy to get mad when your already frustrated. Well good news in a way eh? If it's working well now, theres a good chance that it was just a conflict of some sort, a software issue and not a hardware one. Not saying that's 100% your issue, the problem could still be present and LB just isn't using the same things, like .net, in the old version. Can I ask if the PC is as old as that LB version?

What LaunchBox version are you trying to run currently? Also what operating system are you using? The newest version is built using .NET 6.0, while a version that old is still on .NET Framework. The fact that THAT old of a version works fine would leave me to believe that one of the following is happening:

There is a conflict in your set up with the new .NET runtime
There is a conflict in your set up with your machine and the Direct X version installed (For max WPF performance you should be running 9+)
Newer versions offload much more to the GPU than older versions (this is ESPECIALLY true in Big Box) and so the move to your GPU could be causing more stress which could lead to throttling (check your temps while running)
Several third party graphics apps like Nvidia GeForce and AMD control center have per app settings that can be set. We've seen some issues with any of those that try to force Anti-Aliasing. If you are using an app like that turn it to either on or off and not a setting that lets it automatically choose. This mostly affects Intel graphics but we've seen some issue with some AMD cards in the past

Yeah that versione of LB Is pretty old, but at least i works. I started from 7.something with a year licence, then my last update was on 8.2 before It expires. I renewed this year for a lifetime. Inbuilt my PC later than jumping into launchbox, It was 2019 i think. But i was using already It on my old PC. Yeah, let's Say It Is kind of... Ok... That the old version works, but at the same time It Is even more frustrating and sad

To c-beats (Sorry but in smartphone i dont understand if im quoting or not). If i Remember correctly the actual versione Is 12.5, or the last available, i Always let It update automatically. I'm on win 10 legit Copy with all the updates. So do you think It could be this net 6.0?  Speaking of direct x It Is up to date to the latest available. About big box and GPU, lag occurs even while im not on BB, Just LB. I also have tried to wipe out the entire amd suite and leave the driver only installation. AA Is set to appplication choice not forced tru amd suite. I Will try to check temp while lagging to see if It throttles due to overheating but seems a bit weird to me. Never happened with other appplication.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

This Is a desperation up, a call for help 🤣 i'm starting to consider formatting everything e restart with a fresh Windows, but It Is a pain and a waste of time because i still Don't know if It Will happen again. Yesterday i was almost convinced to Stick with 8.2 and live in peace, but there are so many bugs and missing cool new features.... 😔 I'm talking to most experienced user and hopefully any dev, you cant see nothing from debug log? I can post It again if needed. Thanks

I am a experienced PC builder and I know quite a bit about all that goes with that. I may not be a expert programmer but I even know a bit about that as well. I gave you a tremendous amount of advice, including the precautionary steps you should take before reformatting. Not sure what else you want somebody to tell you. I think C-Beats is a dev, and Retro is also a Mod here and knows quite a bit, Neil also used to be a mod here, several "qualified" people have told you all you need to know good sir. C-Beats reply about throttling is a new one and quite frankly I forgot to even mention that as people usually know when their pc is overheating...but it will do that lag as well if your hitting too high temps on CPU/GPU, thats called throttling. Throttling can happen if you have a bottleneck as well but your specs you posted dont seem like thats the issue. You said you built it 2019 then its nearing the age where you might want to check up on some of the parts, RAM especially. In my experience a gaming pc that gets everyday use usually see's the RAM or GPU start to fail first. I read your logs and told you it complains about "out of memory" and that seems not normal, only the devs coding the app can verify that. It might indicate a issue with one of your RAM sticks. But again, it's different with every PC, how well you keep it clean, it's environment, 100's of possibility's. I know this can be frustrating but you have no choice but to narrow that down yourself. If the reformat fixes it, it was likely a software or driver issue, or OS corruption, etc. So far you've only tested a few of the handful of suggestions given to you. I will remind you of a few you seem to be ignoring.

Temp Throttling? did you test the temps?

Faulty RAM? did you run a memtest at all? usually you will know within the first cycle that's somethings amiss

Event Viewer? Did you take 15 secs to look at your windows event viewer for hardware/software errors?

Separate PC? No reformat required to test on basically any other PC/Laptop. LB runs on anything really.

Test all these things and return here with the results. As much as I want to see you have your smooth frontend back, it's difficult to help somebody that doesn't want to listen. Might very well be my last post in this thread. May the power be with you.

Edited by KingSlayer420

My God this cannot be true, tell me that you joking. You keep repeating that i dont want to listen... It Is funny.... Because i passed the last days trying to sort this thing out. Switching version, shutting down things, try this try that. You are right, i have nothing else to di, i'm bored. So i wake up day and i thought: why dont Just mess with users of LB community Just for fun. Dude are you serious or what. I have tried everything you suggested. Guess what, i'm still here with that problema. You are an experienced PC builder you said, so how come i have a faulty hardware that Is faulty only when running launchbox and with dozen of other things It Is not broken? A PC built 4 yrs ago can be faulty? Sure It can, but It should me faulty not Just when LB fires up. So what are you saying exactly? If we talk about driver issues or conflicts i'm with you, but enough with the story that It could be an hardware issue. It Is Just not even possibile that It shows up ONLY with launchbox. The problem Is elsewhere. So my dear "technician" what Is your point? Your argument Is invalid. I'm attacching passmark memtest that shows everything Is Just fine. Nothing Is throttling dude, i have msi afterburner and and panel that shows GPU temp Is under 50 lC and fan Is not even running. CPU usage Is below 5% like i said many times. You dont have a clue? Thats fine, but dont talk about something you cant talk about Just because you have a mouth. One more thing, sometimes i think that i seem "rude" with language, but trust me It Is because i'm writing in a language that Is not mine, and also because im tired of this. Back ot. Someone asked wich version i'm on, It Is 13.5, and lags, reverting to 8.4 lag vanish, going back to 13.5 lag starts again .. somebody suggented me that net 6.0 thing. Can you please point me to the link of that package? Thanks

Memtest Is still going, this Is the picture, till now It Is ok, but it has moto finished yet, but i'm pretty sure that there Is nothing wrong with memory

IMG20230622231538.jpg

Edited by killa7977

You have already been told how that can happen, you just won't accept that fact. Several people have said your not listening so you tell me what the problem is? Matter of fact this is the first time you've mentioned that you checked the temps, and this is the first time you've posted your memtest? Saying I don't have a clue offends me, you don't have a clue. Truth is you are rude, and I'm not sure it's the language barrier. It's ok though, I know your mad and frustrated, we can just move on if you still want my help. I'll try it again, I'll break it down a bit this time so it's easier.

Your memtest looks fine so far, thats good. 2 passes and no errors is a good sign, faulty RAM "usually" shows errors by the 2nd pass.

I'll shut up about your RAM now, and we can move on to check for software/hardware errors.

Next step is to OPEN EVENT VIEWER so we can see if we got any weird errors in there. You do that by typing "Event Viewer" into windows search, you will see it. It will open a window eventually, Click on Windows Logs and go thru there looking for red X's. There will be errors in there that are normal, don't panic. Root around in there for a time that you know it was lagging and see if theres any errors around that time. See if we can find the culprit in the logs. 

Did you also confirm your not throttling by opening Ryzen Master and verifying we aren't hitting high temps on the CPU? Ryzen Master is more than likely already installed on your PC, just open it up and make sure the temps are stable. Make sure to do this under the load of LB or some other app to test it properly. Basically open it up and try to make it lag again and make sure the temps are good.

Edited by KingSlayer420

Killa...me and you mate, we have been going round and round in circles for days here. I feel a bond between us, I just wanted to say before you reply that I apologize if I am being a smart ass, I have to admit that some of the things you say offend me. I should also say that you also say some things that make me laugh somehow, I really do want to help you. I want to help because as I told you when i first posted I know how this feels, I know the frustration well i might even say. I really did this stuff for a living for some time, I fix all family members pc's, anybody that knows about it knows what i mean. I'm your tech guy for the day, let's get to the bottom of this. Help me help you get your pc fixed.

I had a sudden thought but it's probably not the issue since you said you tried a fresh install right? Maybe you have some ancient plugins in your LB "plugins" folder? And when your making that huge leap in version it's somehow causing that? Doesnt seem likely but just in case I'll just leave it here. If you truly tested a fresh install it would mean that's not the issue.

It's ok mate, trust me 😉.  I Will try that  other things when i got back from work and report here . I can Just say that ryzen master (inhave core temp too) shows no overload and temp are normal (at least this Is what i think for my aknowledge). Ambient temp Is 27, while launchbox Is running CPU Is at around 45 and GPU 50 or something like that, but load in almost nothing. Will post pictures later. Yes i have tested a totally fresh install on 2 different drives, an SSD and a hard disk. I'm sooooo sure that there Is a conflict somewhere in this PC 🤔

Edited by killa7977

14 hours ago, killa7977 said:

somebody suggented me that net 6.0 thing. Can you please point me to the link of that package?

You don't have to grab anything, the application is packaged with the runtime and is loaded manually from disk on app startup by the operating system. The only thing you'd need to do to ensure that this runtime isn't the issue is to make sure your Windows OS is up-to-date. I'd disable insider builds however as they can be hit or miss and make troubleshooting pretty difficult.

Some pics of the error logs in event viewer, at the time of the lag might have a answer for us. I'm hoping anyway, theres never a clear answer in there when it comes to hardware but it should tell us if you have some broken software/drivers. I'll check in later when your off work and see if I can help.

Your temps are stable by the way, just crossing things off the list as we go, i know this seems counter productive but we can't be sure til we get all the facts.

If we try this and it's somehow not fruitful, I can help you do the reformat. I will state that reformatting the OS partition and doing a clean wipe will erase all the files, i assume you know that already but just in case. If there are files you want to keep we will need to back those up before doing anything. You will also need a USB pen with windows on it, or a windows install disc.  It's a whole thing that, hopefully we can just find out whats causing it with your current install. I never like suggesting a reformat, but it can fix problems sometimes. Other times you do a reformat and the problem will still persist, feels like a punch to the gut when that happens.

Edited by KingSlayer420

C-beats i can Say 100% that windows Is up to date. I Will post a Pic later...

What do you mean by "insider builds"? What Is It? I could disable It if i knew what Is that 😬

Kingslayer i Will reply to you later when i have something new to show on my hands. Talking about formatting i know how to do It, i have done It sooooo many times that i'm trying to avoid It at all costs. It Is a pain in the ass everytime, and i have done It less that 1 year ago. System Is rocking solid and fast, trust me if It would be needee for having LB working properly i Will do It.... But as now, Who knows 😉

Edited by killa7977

10 minutes ago, killa7977 said:

What do you mean by "insider builds"? What Is It? I could disable It if i knew what Is that 😬

It's basically Windows beta version. It's an opt-in thing so if you've never heard of it there is a pretty solid bet you're not on it.

1 hour ago, killa7977 said:

Quick update, Will post tomorrow, but i think i have resolved. Messing around a Little bit more and report back 😀

Good news man, I hope you finally got it figured out. Kinda curious to know what is was.